Happy Tuesday, my friends! I know, for me, it is a very happy Tuesday. For those who weren’t following me last Thursday and Friday on Social Media, I was having some issues with Reiki. You see, the Geek Cat likes to eat. It turns out he also likes eating things that are not food, and ended up with a blockage that caused him not to go to the litter box for days (yes, I clean it regularly, and noticed!) in addition to not eating, and becoming very lethargic. This caused me to go into panic mode, bringing him to a regular vet, before being referred to a 24 hour emergency vet, where he was left on Thursday night and Friday night while they worked the blockage out of his system. Luckily, this did not involve surgery, but it did involve some hefty veterinary bills (look towards the end of the post if you’d like to help!) including medication and food for a special “bland” diet which he does not want to eat until he realizes nothing else is coming. Anyway, after all that, he’s home, hating taking his medicine, and looking like he was in a tragic fur clipper accident, but I’m relieved that he’s okay. So, let’s look at what’s coming down the pike!
First, we look to June!
- June 11th – The Shake Ups Bake Up! From 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM, join the Shake Ups in Ponyville at Hero’s Emporium for a bake sale supporting No Kid Hungry! Get baked goods, and try to decide: muffin or cupcake?
- June 15th: Chopping Block Screening! Chopping Block, a film by local filmmaker Joshua Hull, will be screened at the original Sinking Ship! In addition, they will have beers from Scarlet Lane Brewing Company in McCordsville on tap! This will be at 9:30 PM, there will a themed menu, and it’ll just flat-out be a good time!
- June 16th – 19th: DroidCon 4! What I know: This is a convention for builders of Star Wars-style droids. What I don’t know: Anything else. I’ve reached out to their contact a few times, and have received no response. I’ve even checked my junk/spam folder. So, check it out at your own risk.
- June 17th – 19th: Indy Pop Con! Oh, heck yeah! One of my favorite downtown Indy cons! Team Geeking will be there, either interviewing folks, taking pictures, or vending! Come join a good time!
- NOTE: IPC is looking for a volunteer worker for Sunday at their Registration Table. If you would be interested in helping, go to this link for information, and fill out the application!
- June 22nd: Archie Signing at Aw Yeah Muncie! Come join Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie as they welcome Archie writer Mark Waid, and artist Veronica Fish, from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM!
- June 24th – 26th: Days of the Dead! A locally ran horror convention that I normally hear good things about! Click the link for more information!
- June 25th: Naptown Roller Girls Star Wars Night! It’s your annual night of Roller Derby and Star Wars! Head to the Blue Ribbon Pavilion at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis to see our own Naptown Roller Girls, with a special appearance by Star Wars Indiana! Gates open at 5:00 PM, and the first bout starts at 6:00 PM!
- June 26th – Fort Wayne Hobby and Collectibles Show! Held at the Classic Cafe in Fort Wayne, check them out between 11:00 AM and 5:00 PM and see if you can fill holes in your collection! Toys, comics, records, and more!
Now, what’s happening in July!
- July 1st -3rd: InConJunction! Join the Head Geek at the 36th running of this fan-run Science Fiction and Fantasy convention! Held Friday through Sunday at the Marriott East in Indianapolis, I’m really interested to see how this is going to turn out!
- July 8th – 10th: Ikasucon! Back in Fort Wayne for the 9th year, you will want to check this out if you’re into Japanese anime, manga, gaming, and pop culture!
- July 9th: Gluestick Fest! I heard about this through my friends in the Indy Webcomics Group. It looks to be a cool little shindig in Irvington for makers of ‘zines and self-publishers. The link brings you to their WordPress site, which has more info!
- July 23rd: TeenCon! This is a convention put on by the New Castle Henry County Library. Having lived in New Castle until 1986, and then living in Henry County through most of the 1990’s, I’ve spent a lot of time at this library, so I fully support this small show put on by their Teen Reading program! If you’re in for a trip to New Castle, it’ll be fun!
- July 23rd: Indianapolis Indians Star Wars Night! It’s the Indianapolis Indians vs. the Charlotte Knights at Victory Field in Indianapolis! In addition, there will be appearances by Star Wars Indiana as some of your favorite Star Wars characters!
Hey! We have some Kickstarter campaigns to list! Remember, I don’t necessarily endorse these, I just know they are Hoosier-based campaigns, of a Geeky interest, and I want you all to look into them, and make your own decisions!
- Paper Triangle #1 – Kathryn Silver’s comic about a magic pen in the hands of an artist has already met its goal, but you know you want in on the first issue! Plus, she’s got a lot of great stuff in the stretch goals! Check it out before it ends on June 11th!
- Hipster: Teenage Wasteland: This is a stand-alone expansion for Hipster: The Card Game. Check out the Kickstarter before it ends on June 19th for more information!
- Level Up Barcade & Grill – From the looks of it, the goal of this Kickstarter is to open a retro arcade and grill in Fort Wayne. They’re just getting started from the looks of it, so check it out before it ends on June 23rd!
- Mind Revel Podcast – Friend of the blog Carl Doninger is looking to start a new podcast, and he needs equipment! This IndieGoGo campaign has some spiffy perks, like being a co-host, and more! Check it out, and help a good local dude put out a good local ‘cast!
Finally, what’s happening with the blog?
- Picture of the week: Geek Cat is back in the co-pilot chair (literally, the chair to my right at my workstation) looking alert, and slightly shorn.
- #FeedABlogger – FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE!!! Many of my followers and friends asked how they could help out with the financial issues brought up by the Geek Cat’s illness last week. Well, luckily for me, my parents (yeah, I know, be quiet) like this kitty too, and they were willing to front me the money for the vet visit, because really, how much could it be? Well, not including time off work, extra food, or gas used, it’s close to two thousand dollars! For just the initial vet visit, the emergency vet visit, and the medication, it was $1,985.18! So, for the month of June, any and all money coming in to Geeking in Indiana, either via Amazon or via donations, will go toward paying my parents back for this amount. Folks, they’re on a fixed income, and for anyone, a couple thousand dollars isn’t something to sneeze at, so if anyone can give us a bit of a hand, it will be appreciated! You will, of course, be added to the “Awesome Supporters” page as “Friends of the Geek Cat”, but there’s not much else I can do, because, well, two thousand dollars!
- Starting tonight, I am in my summer course at Ivy Tech in Indianapolis. This course is English Composition (to which some of you are thinking, “THANK GOD!”), and having looked over the syllabus, I can tell you that a lot of my spare time is going to be taken up with writing papers, instead of blog posts. If I’m going to maintain my GPA, I really need to buckle down and focus, this term, so with the exception of Grant’s Media Monday posts (he’s uploaded a bunch of drafts. Trust me, he’s not going anywhere!) and these Tuesday Tidbits, you’re not going to see much from me past convention material. I’ve made an obligation to three conventions, and I’m going to keep those obligations. So please, stick with me, and we’ll make it through this together!
- Do you like how the blog looks? If you ever look at the bottom of any of the pages, you can see this is in huge part to Spencer Sokol over at Studio 27 Indy, and Aric Harris of TikiKitchen Design. They are both great and talented individuals who help keep the blog running, and looking professional. If you’re looking for any sort of web work, I highly recommend either (or both!) of those gentlemen.
That’s all for this week! If you have anything to add, don’t be afraid to let me know!