Good day my friends! Here we sit, on the last Tuesday of June, looking over the precipice into July and the start of another very busy convention season in the Hoosier State! We’ve got so much going on, and while I wish I could check out everything, that’s just not going to be the case! This coming weekend is going to be spent doing a panicked triple-check of everything I need the next weekend at Indy PopCon, with a quick personal visit thrown in to InConJunction to see some friends. Also, if you haven’t seen the news floating around, Gen Con (which has started to appear on here, now that we’re covering August) has announced that if ticket sales keep going at the rate they currently are, they are going to cap them soon. So, if you’re planning on hitting it (not just hanging out in the halls. Don’t do that. Dick move.), then get your tickets soon!
Now, what’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
Wrapping up the month of June:
- June 30th: The Yavin 4 Imperial Entanglements CD Release! The Yavin 4, a local Star Wars-based band, will be releasing their new album at Radio Radio! Joined by fellow sci-fi bands Five Year Mission (Indianapolis) and Landspeeder (Chicago), this looks to be another fantastic night of Geeky entertainment at Radio Radio! Visit the link for the Facebook event page, and more information!
Transitioning from June to July, we have a couple of events:
- June 30th – July 2nd: InConJunction XXXVII! The 37th incarnation of this fan-run convention is on its way! Come have a good time with fellow Geeks in this show filled with long-time Hoosier fans, nerds, and Geeks!
- June 30th – July 2nd: Days of the Dead! It’s a horror show, literally! This horror convention is back, with a large list of horror actors and wrestlers! Click the link for more details!
Ahead to July!
- July 6th: KJ’s Kinda Nerdy Night Out (Spider-Man: Homecoming)! – Join our favorite Geeky radio personality, KJ from 107.9 The Mix, at Studio Movie Grill for the release of the newest MCU film, Spider-Man: Homecoming!
- July 7th – 9th: Indy Pop Con! In their fourth year, this fan convergence brings together lovers of popular culture, internet culture, and local Geekery.
- July 15th: Teen Con! Held at the New Castle Henry County Public Library, this is a small show for the Teen Reading Program. They will have vendors, a costume contest, and of course, me! I give love to this, because this is my hometown and I like what they do!
- July 19th: Jim McClain Book Signing at Aw Yeah Comics! Comic creator and math teacher Jim McClain will be at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM, signing books and talking educational comics! Check it out!
- July 22nd: Krypton Comics Mini-Con! Hosted by Krypton Comics in Martinsville, this will include representatives from the Indiana Toy & Comic Expo, and local artists Jason Keith Phillips and Matthew Skillern!
- July 28th – 30th: Ikasucon! This anime convention returns to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne! Dealers, guests, and cosplay for those who love anime! Check it out!
Then, on to August!
- August 4th: Straight Outta Cowan DVD Taping! Local comedian, musician, Trekkie, and friend of the Head Geek Rick Garrett we be recording his live stand-up DVD at the Khaos Company Theater in Indianapolis! In partnership with The Tenderness Tour, this will be starting right at 7:00 PM and it’s hoped to be a sell-out performance! Click the link for more information!
- August 11th – 13th: Indy Fur Con! Indy’s very own Fur con is back for it’s eighth year! This year’s theme is “We Love The 80’s” and it’s held at the Marriott East in Indianapolis! Visit the link for more information!
- August 17th – 20th: Gen Con! The Best Four Days in Gaming returns to Indianapolis to celebrate it’s 50th anniversary! This year, not only are they taking over the Convention Center and surrounding hotels, but they are taking over Banker’s Life Fieldhouse for a kickoff concert with They Might Be Giants, and they are moving into Lucas Oil Stadium, including the field, to celebrate the anniversary! News last week said passes are going like mad, so get in when you can!
- August 18th: Five Year Mission vs The Yavin 4! Starting at 7:00 PM at Scotty’s Brewhouse downtown, it’s Star Trek vs. Star Wars at a show on the patio! Great way to grab some grub after a hard day of gaming downtown!
- August 27th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great one-day show is returning to Bloomington! Packed full of toy dealers, comic dealers, and local artists, it’s well worth the trip down there, and the admission price!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: The Geek Cat has graced me with an opportunity for a selfie. How can I say no to that?
- Nerd’s Domain has been burgled! Matt Quiett of the Nerd’s Domain family of podcasts had his house broken into, and lost a lot of equipment! Can you help a fellow Hoosier Geek Media maker get back on his feet? Every little bit helps!
- Help White Flag Games Expand! White Flag Games in Mooresville is looking to move to better digs, and expand their business to include Escape Rooms! You might have seen my FLS Friday post about them last year (link), and if you did you know I think they’re a pretty cool group, and their shop is a great asset to their area. So, if you would like to take a look, and take a peek at their supporter levels, I know it would be appreciated by all!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!