Happy Tuesday, my friends, and happy 4th of July! In all honesty, I know not many of you are going to be looking at this today, but still, here I am! We’re now solidly inside July, so we don’t have any weird shows bordering both months happening here, and we’re looking ahead to July and August! First, though, we need to make it through #PopConWeek here at Geeking in Indiana! Starting yesterday with Media Monday, we are focusing on this weekend’s Indy PopCon! Tomorrow will talk about the show itself, Thursday will talk about the awesome creators you’ll want to find, and Friday will talk about where to find me, and what I’ll have at the show!
For now, though, let’s see what’s happening for Hoosier Geeks!
It’s now July!
- July 6th: KJ’s Kinda Nerdy Night Out (Spider-Man: Homecoming)! – Join our favorite Geeky radio personality, KJ from 107.9 The Mix, at Studio Movie Grill for the release of the newest MCU film, Spider-Man: Homecoming!
- July 7th – 9th: Indy Pop Con! In their fourth year, this fan convergence brings together lovers of popular culture, internet culture, and local Geekery.
- July 15th: Teen Con! Held at the New Castle Henry County Public Library, this is a small show for the Teen Reading Program. They will have vendors, a costume contest, and of course, me! I give love to this, because this is my hometown and I like what they do!
- July 19th: Jim McClain Book Signing at Aw Yeah Comics! Comic creator and math teacher Jim McClain will be at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM, signing books and talking educational comics! Check it out!
- July 22nd: Krypton Comics Mini-Con! Hosted by Krypton Comics in Martinsville, this will include representatives from the Indiana Toy & Comic Expo, and local artists Jason Keith Phillips and Matthew Skillern!
- July 28th – 30th: Ikasucon! This anime convention returns to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne! Dealers, guests, and cosplay for those who love anime! Check it out!
On to August!
- August 4th: Straight Outta Cowan DVD Taping! Local comedian, musician, Trekkie, and friend of the Head Geek Rick Garrett we be recording his live stand-up DVD at the Khaos Company Theater in Indianapolis! In partnership with The Tenderness Tour, this will be starting right at 7:00 PM and it’s hoped to be a sell-out performance! Click the link for more information!
- August 11th – 13th: Indy Fur Con! Indy’s very own Fur con is back for it’s eighth year! This year’s theme is “We Love The 80’s” and it’s held at the Marriott East in Indianapolis! Visit the link for more information!
- August 17th – 20th: Gen Con! The Best Four Days in Gaming returns to Indianapolis to celebrate it’s 50th anniversary! This year, not only are they taking over the Convention Center and surrounding hotels, but they are taking over Banker’s Life Fieldhouse for a kickoff concert with They Might Be Giants, and they are moving into Lucas Oil Stadium, including the field, to celebrate the anniversary! News last week said passes are going like mad, so get in when you can!
- August 18th: Five Year Mission vs The Yavin 4! Starting at 7:00 PM at Scotty’s Brewhouse downtown, it’s Star Trek vs. Star Wars at a show on the patio! Great way to grab some grub after a hard day of gaming downtown!
- August 27th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great one-day show is returning to Bloomington! Packed full of toy dealers, comic dealers, and local artists, it’s well worth the trip down there, and the admission price!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: The Geek Cat has graced me with an opportunity for a selfie. How can I say no to that?
- Nerd’s Domain has been burgled! Matt Quiett of the Nerd’s Domain family of podcasts had his house broken into, and lost a lot of equipment! Can you help a fellow Hoosier Geek Media maker get back on his feet? Every little bit helps!
- Help White Flag Games Expand! White Flag Games in Mooresville is looking to move to better digs, and expand their business to include Escape Rooms! You might have seen my FLS Friday post about them last year (link), and if you did you know I think they’re a pretty cool group, and their shop is a great asset to their area. So, if you would like to take a look, and take a peek at their supporter levels, I know it would be appreciated by all!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!