Happy Tuesday, my friends! I hope everybody had a fantastic weekend, and their week is starting out well! I know for me, it was a good weekend, with Margarita Monday with my future JoCo Cruise 2018 cabin mates, and I’m learning how to use my new Zoom H6 recorder before I have interviews tomorrow, Thursday, and next Monday, all to help promote the great local gaming that occurs during, as well as the other 361 days around the “Greatest Four Days in Gaming” which we host! However, that is still a few weeks left before that happens, and we have a goodly amount of events happening between now and then, such as an anime convention and Indy’s own fur con! Plus, we’re now starting to fill out the calendar for September! So, let’s sit back, and see what we need to mark our calendars for!
First, July is drawing to a close.
- July 28th – 30th: Ikasucon! This anime convention returns to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne! Dealers, guests, and cosplay for those who love anime! Check it out!
August starts in a week!
- August 4th: Straight Outta Cowan DVD Taping! Local comedian, musician, Trekkie, and friend of the Head Geek Rick Garrett we be recording his live stand-up DVD at the Khaos Company Theater in Indianapolis! In partnership with The Tenderness Tour, this will be starting right at 7:00 PM and it’s hoped to be a sell-out performance! Click the link for more information!
- August 11th – 13th: Indy Fur Con! Indy’s very own Fur con is back for it’s eighth year! This year’s theme is “We Love The 80’s” and it’s held at the Marriott East in Indianapolis! Visit the link for more information!
- August 17th – 20th: Gen Con! The Best Four Days in Gaming returns to Indianapolis to celebrate it’s 50th anniversary! This year, not only are they taking over the Convention Center and surrounding hotels, but they are taking over Banker’s Life Fieldhouse for a kickoff concert with They Might Be Giants, and they are moving into Lucas Oil Stadium, including the field, to celebrate the anniversary! Four day badges are sold out! Saturday and Sunday badges are sold out! Thursday and Friday almost gone!
- August 18th: Five Year Mission vs The Yavin 4! Starting at 7:00 PM at Scotty’s Brewhouse downtown, it’s Star Trek vs. Star Wars at a show on the patio! Great way to grab some grub after a hard day of gaming downtown!
- August 20th: Ash Toy and Comic Show! Can’t make it to Gen Con? How about checking out this local toy show? Click the link for more info!
- August 27th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great one-day show is returning to Bloomington! Packed full of toy dealers, comic dealers, and local artists, it’s well worth the trip down there, and the admission price!
Looking ahead to September!
- September 8th – 10th: Tri-Con! This is a locally-ran pop culture convention down in Evansville that sounds like a good time! Someday, I’ll be able to visit, but sadly not this year. You should still go, though!
- September 8th – 10th: HorrorHound! This is a cool little horror convention, with a strong Halloween focus (the holiday, not the movie). I attended a few years ago, and while horror isn’t my scene, it was a good time.
- September 15th – 17th: RamenCon! Anime convention up in South Bend! I don’t normally catch wind of a lot of events in that area, so if you’re up there, check it out!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: The blog has a new toy. Yes, this means the Indiana Geeking Podcast is going to be returning with a vengeance in early August.
- Nerd’s Domain has been burgled! Matt Quiett of the Nerd’s Domain family of podcasts had his house broken into, and lost a lot of equipment! Can you help a fellow Hoosier Geek Media maker get back on his feet? Every little bit helps!
- Help White Flag Games Expand! White Flag Games in Mooresville is looking to move to better digs, and expand their business to include Escape Rooms! You might have seen my FLS Friday post about them last year (link), and if you did you know I think they’re a pretty cool group, and their shop is a great asset to their area. So, if you would like to take a look, and take a peek at their supporter levels, I know it would be appreciated by all!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!