Happy Tuesday, people of the Internet! It is time once again for your Tuesday Tidbits! It’s your weekly update of things happening that I think would be of interest to Geeks in the Hoosier state! This week, I added First Friday in Kokomo, where I’ve been invited to sit in with a panel of Geeks at Kokomo Toys, and have kids and families try to stump us! In addition, I’ve added the Indy Disney Meet, for all you DisNerds out there (FYI, being a DisNerd is a heck of a lot better than being an annual passhole)! This is in addition to all the other fantastic things we have happening for Hoosier Geeks here in Indiana! So, go ahead and give me a bit of your time, sit back, and be in awe of my kitty cat board shorts I got for use at the pool at next year’s JoCo Cruise!
August is here!
- August 4th: Straight Outta Cowan DVD Taping! Local comedian, musician, Trekkie, and friend of the Head Geek Rick Garrett we be recording his live stand-up DVD at the Khaos Company Theater in Indianapolis! In partnership with The Tenderness Tour, this will be starting right at 7:00 PM and it’s hoped to be a sell-out performance! Click the link for more information!
- August 4th: First Friday in Kokomo! Geek Street up in Kokomo is very active in the First Friday festivities, and this month, they’re bringing in a panel of Geeks to play “Stump the Geek”! This Geek has been invited to sit in with them (which will be fun, because my brain is not wired for trivia!) at Kokomo Toys, and they’ll have local kids try to out Geek the panel! Rumor has it this will be recorded for their local access show, Geekstorm, and it looks like fun! So head on up to First Friday in Kokomo for the fun! We’ll be there fro 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- August 10th: Plow Games at Family Time! Local game maker, Plow Games, will be at Family Time Games on Indy’s northwest side, from 6:00 PM to whenever Shane kicks them out, running demos of Last Front, their WW2 card game, and playtesting Hexes & Henchmen (working title), a new game they are developing that is a lot of fun (I played it Monday night, and won!)! Drop by, try the games, and play them with the designers!
- August 11th – 13th: Indy Fur Con! Indy’s very own Fur con is back for it’s eighth year! This year’s theme is “We Love The 80’s” and it’s held at the Marriott East in Indianapolis! Visit the link for more information!
- August 17th – 20th: Gen Con! The Best Four Days in Gaming returns to Indianapolis to celebrate it’s 50th anniversary! This year, not only are they taking over the Convention Center and surrounding hotels, but they are taking over Banker’s Life Fieldhouse for a kickoff concert with They Might Be Giants, and they are moving into Lucas Oil Stadium, including the field, to celebrate the anniversary! Four day badges are sold out! Saturday and Sunday badges are sold out! Thursday and Friday almost gone!
- August 18th: Five Year Mission vs The Yavin 4! Starting at 7:00 PM at Scotty’s Brewhouse downtown, it’s Star Trek vs. Star Wars at a show on the patio! Great way to grab some grub after a hard day of gaming downtown!
- August 20th: Ash Toy and Comic Show! Can’t make it to Gen Con? How about checking out this local toy show? Click the link for more info!
- August 26th: Indy Disney Meet! Are you a “DisNerd”? Do you dream of Dole Whips? Well, how about a little taste of Disney, right here in Indiana? Check out this event!
- August 27th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great one-day show is returning to Bloomington! Packed full of toy dealers, comic dealers, and local artists, it’s well worth the trip down there, and the admission price!
Looking ahead to September!
- September 1st & 2nd: ISU-Con! Props to Avital for the tip on this. This is a free events, held in the ISU Arena Building. Take a look at the event page for more information!
- September 8th – 10th: Tri-Con! This is a locally-ran pop culture convention down in Evansville that sounds like a good time! Someday, I’ll be able to visit, but sadly not this year. You should still go, though!
- September 8th – 10th: HorrorHound! This is a cool horror convention, with a strong Halloween focus (the holiday, not the movie). I attended a few years ago, and while horror isn’t my scene, it was a good time.
- September 15th – 17th: RamenCon! Anime convention up in South Bend! I don’t normally catch wind of a lot of events in that area, so if you’re up there, check it out!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: Don’t be jealous of my style. These cat print board shorts were found at Target (link), thanks to a heads up from local filmmaker and brewer, Joshua Hull! Thanks for the heads up, man!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!