Happy Tuesday, my friends! I hope we all had a fantastic week this last week! Myself, I had the opportunity to visit Kokomo Toys for First Friday, with the chance to sit with Shawn and Nich from Geekstorm and record a bit, and get stumped by Five Nights at Freddy’s questions from kids visiting. I want to thank Todd, Shawn, Nick, and the Mike that showed up for their hospitality and patience, as I didn’t have much of a clue as to what was going on! Saturday was writing and The Dark Tower (which I wrote about yesterday), and the rest of the weekend was work around the house, and prepping posts for this week, which will include two more pre-Gen Con podcast episodes, with local game designers who are bringing great games to the Hoosier state the other 361 days of the year.
So, what all do we have on the calendar? Make note, because I’ll be taking next week off, to give you all the rundown on Gen Con events and tables ran by locals!
August is here!
- August 10th: Plow Games at Family Time! Local game maker, Plow Games, will be at Family Time Games on Indy’s northwest side, from 6:00 PM to whenever Shane kicks them out, running demos of Last Front, their WW2 card game, and playtesting Hexes & Henchmen (working title), a new game they are developing that is a lot of fun (I played it last Monday night, and won!)! Drop by, try the games, and play them with the designers! Look for their Gen Con Special Interview tomorrow!
- August 11th – 13th: Indy Fur Con! Indy’s very own Fur con is back for it’s eighth year! This year’s theme is “We Love The 80’s” and it’s held at the Marriott East in Indianapolis! Visit the link for more information!
- August 17th – 20th: Gen Con! The Best Four Days in Gaming returns to Indianapolis to celebrate it’s 50th anniversary! This year, not only are they taking over the Convention Center and surrounding hotels, but they are taking over Banker’s Life Fieldhouse for a kickoff concert with They Might Be Giants, and they are moving into Lucas Oil Stadium, including the field, to celebrate the anniversary! Four day badges are sold out! Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday badges are sold out! Friday almost gone!
- August 18th: Five Year Mission vs The Yavin 4! Starting at 7:00 PM at Scotty’s Brewhouse downtown, it’s Star Trek vs. Star Wars at a show on the patio! Great way to grab some grub after a hard day of gaming downtown! I
- August 20th: Ash Toy and Comic Show! Can’t make it to Gen Con? How about checking out this local toy show? Click the link for more info!
- August 26th: Indy Disney Meet! Are you a “DisNerd”? Do you dream of Dole Whips? Well, how about a little taste of Disney, right here in Indiana? Check out this event!
- August 27th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great one-day show is returning to Bloomington! Packed full of toy dealers, comic dealers, and local artists, it’s well worth the trip down there, and the admission price!
Looking ahead to September!
- September 1st & 2nd: ISU-Con! Props to Avital for the tip on this. This is a free events, held in the ISU Arena Building. Take a look at the event page for more information!
- September 2nd: Doctor Who Comics Day at Aw Yeah Comics! Visit the comic shop owned and ran by a real Doctor and celebrate Doctor Who Comics Day! 10% off Doctor Who merchandise, and more! Check out their event page for details!
- September 8th – 10th: Tri-Con! This is a locally-ran pop culture convention down in Evansville that sounds like a good time! Someday, I’ll be able to visit, but sadly not this year. You should still go, though!
- September 8th – 10th: HorrorHound! This is a cool horror convention, with a strong Halloween focus (the holiday, not the movie). I attended a few years ago, and while horror isn’t my scene, it was a good time.
- September 15th – 17th: RamenCon! Anime convention up in South Bend! I don’t normally catch wind of a lot of events in that area, so if you’re up there, check it out!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: The Pibble has her head on the pillow, like people! D’AWWWW.
- Send Jimmy to the Clown Motel: All the details are either on the Geeking in Indiana FB page, or at the link, but long story short: Jimmy is a buddy of mine in Southern California, who’s terrified of clowns. He took a bet that if they could raise $1K for Ronald McDonald House out there, he’d stay at the Clown Motel in Nevada. Not local, but still a good cause, so I’m pushing it for them, because that’s what friends do!
- Shop: If you look to the right hand side, there is a “Shop” link for the blog. Right now, it’s just fidget spinners and pins. I’m still working on getting discount codes, and other merchandise, up and good to go. Give it a try, if you’d like, but please, be patient! I’m still testing it!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!