Happy Tuesday that feels like a Monday, my friends! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! I just returned from Southern California, and a Geekling visit, last night, and I’m actually firing this off this morning, before I return to work! It was a fun visit, with trips to five different Halloween stores to help the Geekling with their Halloween costume! Needless to say, a good time was had by all! Now, I’m back in Indiana, and I’ve got a lot of stuff on the plate. For example, Saturday I’ll be spending the day with the crew of the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, at their “Losers Club” group viewing of It, then we’re going to record thoughts on it, before I head over to his recording studio and record some thoughts on The Gunslinger for their new podcast, Tower Junkies! This is after a week of catching up on work, and a recording session for the next Indiana Geeking Podcast on Thursday, which will be edited and set to release on the 15th! So, busy week!
However, enough about me, what’s going on in the state of Indiana for Hoosier Geeks?
Looking at the month of September!
- September 8th – 10th: Tri-Con! This is a locally-ran pop culture convention down in Evansville that sounds like a good time! Someday, I’ll be able to visit, but sadly not this year. You should still go, though!
- September 8th – 10th: HorrorHound! This is a cool horror convention, with a strong Halloween focus (the holiday, not the movie). I attended a few years ago, and while horror isn’t my scene, it was definitely interesting.
- September 15th – 17th: RamenCon! Anime convention up in South Bend! I don’t normally catch wind of a lot of events in that area, so if you’re up there, check it out!
October will be here sooner than you think!
- October 6th: Shocktober in Irvington! Join the Obsessive Viewer podcast as they bring local short horror films back to the Irving Theater in Irvington! There will be short films, interviews with the film’s creators, as well as door prizes for attendees! Tickets are now on sale, and if you use the code “GEEKING” it’ll get you a dollar off your ticket price! Check the link for the details! (Huge thanks to the Black Hat Society of Irvington for helping Matt with a scheduling mix-up!)
- October 6th: The Shake Ups & Frank Dean Celebrate the Beatles! If short horror films aren’t your thing, then might I recommend this cool show with The Shake Ups? They put on a great show, and they do fantastic Beatles covers! If I hadn’t committed to Shocktober, this is where I’d be!
- October 14th: KokomoCon! KokomoCon is back! This groovy show, hosted by Comics Cubed, is a relaxing, fun, one day event up in Kokomo, that is on my “must hit” list every year!
- October 28th: Doctoberfest! Back for the second year! Doctor Who and Halloween collide at Who North America in Camby, with local crafts people, artists, a pumpkin carving contest, and a Doctor Who costume contest! Shop their selection of Doctor Who merchandise, or visit the vendors! Rachel from The Five-ish Fangirls and I are looking to have a table again, this year!
- October 28th & 29th: Fantasticon! Returning to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne, this looks to be one of your standard “comic and pop culture” conventions. I haven’t had a chance to make it up to visit, I haven’t heard any feedback on the show, so I’ll tell you it’s happening, and I hope you have fun!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: I’m really starting to get a collection of Star Trek insignia. All of these are the QMX magnetic badges, including Star Trek Discovery, Star Trek Beyond, Star Trek The Next Generation, and Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Come on, QMX! When am I getting my awesome magnetic Wrath of Khan insignia?
- Nuvo Best of Indy Voting: I’m a bit behind on letting everyone know, but the Nuvo Best of Indy nominations are up and running! HOWEVER, it is a new system, and it’s set up different from previous years. So, if you’d like to nominate the “IndianaGeeking” account for “Best Twitter Feed”, so I can go for second place for the third year in a row, head on over to the link heading this section, and if you don’t already have a Nuvo account, create one. Once that account is created, scroll on down to where you see sections in red stating “NOMINATE YOUR FAVES IN…” and you’ll find different categories. “Best local Twitter Feed” can be found under “News and Views”, on page 3. You have to hit the “Continue” button twice to get there, type in “IndianaGeeking”, hit “Continue” once more, verify with a Captcha, and continue again. SUBMITTED! If you’re curious, here’s who I’ve been nominating in each category. You can nominate once a day, and it runs through September 13th! Thanks!
- Shopping – I’m not doing any nominations in this category, because there are too many good shops in town. However, they do FINALLY have a category for “Best local spot to buy/play board games” as well as a “Best local comic book shop”, both on Page 2.
- Arts and Entertainment – Note: This starts with a “Continue” button, then rolls into a “Submit” button for no discernible reason. Treat Submit as Continue.
- Best Local Comedian (page 2) – Rick Garrett
- Best local burlesque troupe (page 3) – Angel Burlesque
- Best local burlesque performer (page 3) – Katie Angel
- Best local author (page 4) – Hans Cummings
- Food and Drink – You’re on your own, here. 😉
- Music and Nightlife – Please, don’t nominate the same band in multiple categories (rock, metal, etc)
- Best local Rock (page 2) – 5 Year Mission
- Best local pop (page 2) – The Shake Ups (no “Beach City” or “Ponyville”)
- Best local punk/hardcore (page 2) – The Yavin 4
- Best new local album (page 3) – The Shake Ups in Beach City
- Best new local music video (page 3) – The Shake Ups, “Kindergarten Kid”
- News and Views – You’re on your own again. This is where Best local Twitter feed is, though!
- Damien and the Good Place to Die: This is a GoFundMe, to help local writer Zachary Kline and local illustrator (and occasional blog contributor) Samantha Kyle get some copies of their book printed! Take a look, and throw some money at them!
- Shop: If you look to the right hand side, there is a “Shop” link for the blog. Right now, it’s just fidget spinners and pins. I’m still working on getting discount codes, and other merchandise, up and good to go. Give it a try, if you’d like, but please, be patient! I’m still testing it!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables! I will never turn down Patreon supporters, one-time PayPal donations, folks shopping through the Amazon Affiliate Link, or even folks buying items from the Geeking shop! Check the link for more info!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!