Happy Tuesday, my friends! Here we are, getting to the end of September (okay, it at least feels like it. We’ve still got a week and a half left), so it’s time to start looking ahead at events in November! Holy carp, where is 2017 going? This is probably a good time to remind you that on October 1st, I’ll be starting to include the 2018 Hoosier Convention listing to the sidebar! One thing I’ll be making sure to add is which shows I’ll be tabling at in 2018, as I already have three, with more coming!
So, let’s pull out our calendars, take a look at some events, and start getting ready for some stuff! I know I’m really psyched for Shocktober, Kokomo Con, Doctoberfest, and Starbase Indy! But this isn’t all we have to offer, not by a long shot!
Looking at the remainder of September!
- September 24th: Fort Wayne Hobby & Collectibles Show! Looking for toys, collectibles, and other cool things? Check out this show up in Fort Wayne!
- September 30th & October 1st – Indy Lightsaber Academy Fight Camp! Were you aware Indianapolis had a Lightsaber Academy? They normally have practice for a few hours on a weekday evening, but now they’re offering the opportunity for a high-intensity training session that lasts a weekend! Check out the event page for more info!
October will be here sooner than you think!
- October 6th: Shocktober in Irvington! Join the Obsessive Viewer podcast as they bring local short horror films back to the Irving Theater in Irvington! There will be short films, interviews with the film’s creators, as well as door prizes for attendees! Tickets are now on sale, and if you use the code “GEEKING” it’ll get you a dollar off your ticket price! Check the link for the details! (Huge thanks to the Black Hat Society of Irvington for helping Matt with a scheduling mix-up!)
- October 6th: The Shake Ups & Frank Dean Celebrate the Beatles! If short horror films aren’t your thing, then might I recommend this cool show with The Shake Ups? They put on a great show, and they do fantastic Beatles covers! If I hadn’t committed to Shocktober, this is where I’d be!
- October 7th & 8th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Held at Klipsch Music Center, outside of Noblesville, here is your opportunity to hit a Ren Faire, right here in central Indiana!
- October 14th: KokomoCon! KokomoCon is back! This groovy show, hosted by Comics Cubed, is a relaxing, fun, one day event up in Kokomo, that is on my “must hit” list every year!
- October 15th: Ash Comic & Toy Show! This Indianapolis institution is back for their fall show! Click the link for more info!
- October 28th: Doctoberfest! Back for the second year! Doctor Who and Halloween collide at Who North America in Camby, with local crafts people, artists, a pumpkin carving contest, and a Doctor Who costume contest! Shop their selection of Doctor Who merchandise, or visit the vendors! Rachel from The Five-ish Fangirls and I are looking to have a table again, this year!
- October 28th & 29th: Fantasticon! Returning to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne, this looks to be one of your standard “comic and pop culture” conventions. I haven’t had a chance to make it up to visit, I haven’t heard any feedback on the show, so I’ll tell you it’s happening, and I hope you have fun!
Next up is November!
- November 10th – 12th: Pentacon Game Convention! While I’ve never been, the website looks like they have things for all types of gamers, as well as a flea market, and a costume contest! Check it out!
- November 24th – 26th: Starbase Indy! This year, they are not only focusing on Star Trek (with guests like Denise Crosby, Robert O’Reilly, and Marc Okrand), but they’re also looking at the kind of future Roddenberry envisioned with the show that’s lasted over fifty years. Plus, Five Year Mission will be debuting their new album at the con! It’s a great way to avoid post-Thanksgiving shopping crowds, and spend time with local Geeks!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: Remember how I said I’m looking to get some more free time back, by dropping the posting schedule down in the next few months? Well, stuff like this is why. I’m planning on using some of that “free” time to do live builds of simple model kits, to get myself back into practice for the really good stuff.
- Nightfall at Camp Havenwood Kickstarter: If you pay attention to the Podcast, you might remember the episode (Link) where I talked with the crew behind this horror-themed game, being made here in Indiana. They have reworked a bit, and it’s back on Kickstarter! Jump on board before it ends on (naturally) Friday the 13th of October!
- Shop: If you look to the right hand side, there is a “Shop” link for the blog. Right now, it’s just fidget spinners and pins. I’m still working on getting discount codes, and other merchandise, up and good to go. Give it a try, if you’d like, but please, be patient! I’m still testing it!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables! I will never turn down Patreon supporters, one-time PayPal donations, folks shopping through the Amazon Affiliate Link, or even folks buying items from the Geeking shop! Check the link for more info!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!