Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are in the final week of September, which means we are coming up on the month that contains Halloween, as well as a lot of great events that happen around it! We are just over a week away from Shocktober in Irvington, held by my friends at the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, as well as the Beatles show with friends of the blog, The Shake Ups! In addition, we’re looking ahead at events like Doctoberfest, and Starbase Indy, as we start winding down 2017 and start looking ahead to 2018.
Also, we are in the middle of the “Best of Indy” voting for Nuvo! This is running through next week, and you can only vote once! So, if you’re interested, please scroll down to the bottom of the page, see where you can vote for me, and who all I’m rooting for!
Looking at the last week of September!
- September 30th & October 1st – Indy Lightsaber Academy Fight Camp! Were you aware Indianapolis had a Lightsaber Academy? They normally have practice for a few hours on a weekday evening, but now they’re offering the opportunity for a high-intensity training session that lasts a weekend! Check out the event page for more info!
October is next week!
- October 6th: Shocktober in Irvington! Join the Obsessive Viewer podcast as they bring local short horror films to their new location at Playground Productions in Irvington! There will be short films, interviews with the film’s creators, as well as door prizes for attendees! Tickets are now on sale, and if you use the code “GEEKING” it’ll get you a dollar off your ticket price! Check the link for the details!
- October 6th: The Shake Ups & Frank Dean Celebrate the Beatles! If short horror films aren’t your thing, then might I recommend this cool show with The Shake Ups? They put on a great show, and they do fantastic Beatles covers! If I hadn’t committed to Shocktober, this is where I’d be!
- October 6th: Strange (R) Things 2! An art show featuring artwork inspired by the hit Netflix show, Stranger Things! Hosted by Acceleration Art & Photography in Indianapolis, they will also have a waffle bar, and other snacks, along with a screening of season one episodes. (Huge thanks to Twitter user @65thVictor for the heads up! She’s also an awesome artist! Throw money at her to help with Gen Con fees here!)
- October 7th & 8th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Held at Klipsch Music Center, outside of Noblesville, here is your opportunity to hit a Ren Faire, right here in central Indiana!
- October 14th: KokomoCon! KokomoCon is back! This groovy show, hosted by Comics Cubed, is a relaxing, fun, one day event up in Kokomo, that is on my “must hit” list every year!
- October 15th: Ash Comic & Toy Show! This Indianapolis institution is back for their fall show! Click the link for more info!
- October 28th: Doctoberfest! Back for the second year! Doctor Who and Halloween collide at Who North America in Camby, with local crafts people, artists, a pumpkin carving contest, and a Doctor Who costume contest! Shop their selection of Doctor Who merchandise, or visit the vendors! Rachel from The Five-ish Fangirls and I are looking to have a table again, this year!
- October 28th & 29th: Fantasticon! Returning to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne, this looks to be one of your standard “comic and pop culture” conventions. I haven’t had a chance to make it up to visit, I haven’t heard any feedback on the show, so I’ll tell you it’s happening, and I hope you have fun!
Next up is November!
- November 10th – 12th: Pentacon Game Convention! While I’ve never been, the website looks like they have things for all types of gamers, as well as a flea market, and a costume contest! Check it out!
- November 24th – 26th: Starbase Indy! This year, they are not only focusing on Star Trek (with guests like Denise Crosby, Robert O’Reilly, and Marc Okrand), but they’re also looking at the kind of future Roddenberry envisioned with the show that’s lasted over fifty years. Plus, Five Year Mission will be debuting their new album at the con! It’s a great way to avoid post-Thanksgiving shopping crowds, and spend time with local Geeks!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: Not many photos go up of the Geek Cat any more, so I feel the need to occasionally throw one up there so you all know that he’s alive, doing well, and just being a lazy kitty.
- Nightfall at Camp Havenwood Kickstarter: If you pay attention to the Podcast, you might remember the episode (Link) where I talked with the crew behind this horror-themed game, being made here in Indiana. They have reworked a bit, and it’s back on Kickstarter! Jump on board before it ends on (naturally) Friday the 13th of October!
- Shop: If you look to the right hand side, there is a “Shop” link for the blog. Right now, it’s just fidget spinners and pins. I’m still working on getting discount codes, and other merchandise, up and good to go. Give it a try, if you’d like, but please, be patient! I’m still testing it!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables! I will never turn down Patreon supporters, one-time PayPal donations, folks shopping through the Amazon Affiliate Link, or even folks buying items from the Geeking shop! Check the link for more info!
- Nuvo Best of Indy Voting: Nuvo’s “Best of Indy” ballot went live last Wednesday! If you’re not aware, this year you can only vote once. Let me say this again, for those in the back: You can only vote once! Trying to circumnavigate the system will invalidate your votes, and with only one vote allowed, they all count! As you might be aware, I am nominated in two sections in the “News and Views” category: Best Local Twitter Feed (page 3), and Local Personality I’d Want at my Next Dinner Party (page 4). I only really care about Twitter Feed! Matt Hofmann of Star Wars Indiana is up for Dinner Party, so throw your vote to him. But, who else am I looking at?
- Shopping – Once again, I have too many places I’d vote for in here, but I want to point out Page 2, which has voting for Bookstore, Local Spot to Buy/Play Board Games (remember: Kingmaker’s IS NOT LOCALLY OWNED), Best Arcade, and Best Local Comic Book Shop!
- Arts and Entertainment –
- Best Local Performing Arts Group (page 1) – Angel Burlesque
- Best Local Comedian (page 2) – Rick Garrett
- Best local burlesque troupe (page 3) – Angel Burlesque
- Best local burlesque performer (page 3) – Katie Angel
- Best local author (page 4) – Hans Cummings
- Best Local Amateur or Collegiate Sports Team (page 5) – Indy Lightsaber Academy
- Food and Drink – I am not a foodie, or a food blogger, so this one is completely up to you!
- Music and Nightlife –
- Best Local Vocalist (page 1) – Holly Garrett
- Best local Rock (page 2) – 5 Year Mission
- Best local pop (page 2) – The Shake Ups (no “Beach City” or “Ponyville”)
- Best local punk/hardcore (page 2) – The Yavin 4
- Best new local album (page 3) – The Shake Ups in Beach City
- Best new local music video (page 3) – The Shake Ups, “Kindergarten Kid”
- News and Views –
- Best Local Non-Profit (page 1) – 501st Rebel Legion
- Best Local Charitable Event (page 1) – 501st Blast-a-Trooper at PopCon
- Best Local Radio Personality or Personalities (page 2) – K.J.
- Best Local TV Anchor or Reporter (page 2) – Joe Melillo
- Best Local Twitter Feed (page 3) – Tony Troxell (@IndianaGeeking)
- Best Local Instagram Account (page 3) – Angel Burlesque
- Best Local Personality You’d Want at Your Next Kegger (page 3) – Katie Angel
- Best Local Personality You’d Want at Your Next Dinner Party (page 4) – Matt Hofmann