Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are here with another run down of cool events happening for local Geeks! This weekend is going to be a busy weekend, kicking off with three cool events on Friday night! Myself, I’ll be at Shocktober in Irvington, and I know Lizz is planning on representing Geeking at the Shake Ups show! Then, for us, we’re heading to Southern Indiana to do some costume work with friends from Star Wars Indiana, but there is also the Ren Faire happening up here in Noblesville! So, there’s a lot of great stuff happening!
Don’t forget, the 2018 Hoosier Convention listing is now live, as well! Take a look and start marking your calendars! So far, I know I’ll be tabling at Indy PopCon, and the Indiana Toy and Comic Expo, and I might be doing a bit more as I look at my schedule for next year!
Now, on with the events!
October is here!
- October 6th: Shocktober in Irvington! Join the Obsessive Viewer podcast as they bring local short horror films to their new location at Playground Productions in Irvington! There will be short films, interviews with the film’s creators, as well as door prizes for attendees! Tickets are now on sale, and if you use the code “GEEKING” it’ll get you a dollar off your ticket price! Check the link for the details! Also, if you’d like a chance to win tickets, go to this post before 9AM on Thursday, 10/5, and comment with your favorite scary movie!
- October 6th: The Shake Ups & Frank Dean Celebrate the Beatles! If short horror films aren’t your thing, then might I recommend this cool show with The Shake Ups? They put on a great show, and they do fantastic Beatles covers! If I hadn’t committed to Shocktober, this is where I’d be!
- October 6th: Strange (R) Things 2! An art show featuring artwork inspired by the hit Netflix show, Stranger Things! Hosted by Acceleration Art & Photography in Indianapolis, they will also have a waffle bar, and other snacks, along with a screening of season one episodes. (Huge thanks to Twitter user @65thVictor for the heads up! She’s also an awesome artist! Throw money at her to help with Gen Con fees here!)
- October 7th & 8th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Held at Klipsch Music Center, outside of Noblesville, here is your opportunity to hit a Ren Faire, right here in central Indiana!
- October 14th: KokomoCon! KokomoCon is back! This groovy show, hosted by Comics Cubed, is a relaxing, fun, one day event up in Kokomo, that is on my “must hit” list every year! Don’t forget this post, with a contest for free tickets, running until October 8th!
- October 15th: Caitlin Blackwood at Who North America! The actress who played young Amy Pond on Doctor Who will be in Camby on Sunday the 15th, to meet fans, take pics, and sign autographs. Prices and hours are posted on the Facebook Event Page linked, so make sure you check it out, and give her a warm Hoosier welcome!
- October 15th: Ash Comic & Toy Show! This Indianapolis institution is back for their fall show! Click the link for more info!
- October 20th – 22nd: St. Peter’s Extra Life Weekend! This is a board game event, down in Evansville, that benefits Riley Hospital! Check out their Extra Life page for information on how you can play games, and help out!
- October 20th – 22nd: Midwest Horror Fest! At the State Theater in Logansport, I was advised about this event last week. Looks like it’s a weekend full of horror and sci-fi films, with other entertainment thrown in! Looks like it’s worth checking out, if that’s your thing!
- October 28th: Doctoberfest! Back for the second year! Doctor Who and Halloween collide at Who North America in Camby, with local crafts people, artists, a pumpkin carving contest, and a Doctor Who costume contest! Shop their selection of Doctor Who merchandise, or visit the vendors! Rachel from The Five-ish Fangirls and I are looking to have a table again, this year!
- October 28th & 29th: Fantasticon! Returning to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne, this looks to be one of your standard “comic and pop culture” conventions. I haven’t had a chance to make it up to visit, I haven’t heard any feedback on the show, so I’ll tell you it’s happening, and I hope you have fun!
Next up is November!
- November 10th – 12th: Pentacon Game Convention! While I’ve never been, the website looks like they have things for all types of gamers, as well as a flea market, and a costume contest! Check it out!
- November 24th – 26th: Starbase Indy! This year, they are not only focusing on Star Trek (with guests like Denise Crosby, Robert O’Reilly, and Marc Okrand), but they’re also looking at the kind of future Roddenberry envisioned with the show that’s lasted over fifty years. Plus, Five Year Mission will be debuting their new album at the con! It’s a great way to avoid post-Thanksgiving shopping crowds, and spend time with local Geeks!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: Zoey is very patient when you put the camera in her face.
- Nightfall at Camp Havenwood Kickstarter: If you pay attention to the Podcast, you might remember the episode (Link) where I talked with the crew behind this horror-themed game, being made here in Indiana. They have reworked a bit, and it’s back on Kickstarter! Jump on board before it ends on (naturally) Friday the 13th of October!
- Shop: If you look to the right hand side, there is a “Shop” link for the blog. Right now, it’s just fidget spinners and pins. I’m still working on getting discount codes, and other merchandise, up and good to go. Give it a try, if you’d like, but please, be patient! I’m still testing it!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables! I will never turn down Patreon supporters, one-time PayPal donations, folks shopping through the Amazon Affiliate Link, or even folks buying items from the Geeking shop! Check the link for more info!
See you all on Friday, for the next installment of Friendly Local Shop Friday!