Happy Tuesday, my friends! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend! Mine was spent with great people, eating good food, and getting fired up to build things again. Friday night was dinner at The Mug in Irvington, followed by Shocktober in Irvington, hosted by the Obsessive Viewer Podcast. Saturday involved driving down to Jasper to spend time with friends in Star Wars Indiana, working on costumes, looking at patterns, talking projects, and grabbing a meal with a bunch of awesome people, before heading back to Indianapolis around 10:30 PM. Sunday was spent catching up on housework, writing, and getting ready for next week before going to catch Star Trek Discovery with even more friends! Now, this coming week is going to include a podcast recording, gaming, KokomoCon, and my father’s birthday! However, there’s other great things to do, like the actress who played young Amy Pond visiting Who North America on Sunday, or the Ash Comic & Toy Show, and there’s even more coming up almost every weekend! So, let’s see what’s on the calendar!
October is here!
- October 14th: KokomoCon! KokomoCon is back! This groovy show, hosted by Comics Cubed, is a relaxing, fun, one day event up in Kokomo, that is on my “must hit” list every year! Don’t forget this post, with a contest for free tickets, running until October 8th!
- October 15th: Caitlin Blackwood at Who North America! The actress who played young Amy Pond on Doctor Who will be in Camby on Sunday the 15th, to meet fans, take pics, and sign autographs. Prices and hours are posted on the Facebook Event Page linked, so make sure you check it out, and give her a warm Hoosier welcome!
- October 15th: Ash Comic & Toy Show! This Indianapolis institution is back for their fall show! Click the link for more info!
- October 20th – 22nd: St. Peter’s Extra Life Weekend! This is a board game event, down in Evansville, that benefits Riley Hospital! Check out their Extra Life page for information on how you can play games, and help out!
- October 20th – 22nd: Midwest Horror Fest! At the State Theater in Logansport, I was advised about this event last week. Looks like it’s a weekend full of horror and sci-fi films, with other entertainment thrown in! Looks like it’s worth checking out, if that’s your thing!
- October 28th: Doctoberfest! Back for the second year! Doctor Who and Halloween collide at Who North America in Camby, with local crafts people, artists, a pumpkin carving contest, and a Doctor Who costume contest! Shop their selection of Doctor Who merchandise, or visit the vendors! Rachel from The Five-ish Fangirls and I are looking to have a table again, this year!
- October 28th & 29th: Fantasticon! Returning to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne, this looks to be one of your standard “comic and pop culture” conventions. I haven’t had a chance to make it up to visit, I haven’t heard any feedback on the show, so I’ll tell you it’s happening, and I hope you have fun!
Next up is November!
- November 10th – 12th: Amaicon! Held at the Wyndham West in Indianapolis, this is the newest addition to our group of fan-run anime conventions! A sister show to Anime Crossroads, this should probably be on the radar of local anime fans.
- November 10th – 12th: Pentacon Game Convention! While I’ve never been, the website looks like they have things for all types of gamers, as well as a flea market, and a costume contest! Check it out!
- November 24th – 26th: Starbase Indy! This year, they are not only focusing on Star Trek (with guests like Denise Crosby, Robert O’Reilly, and Marc Okrand), but they’re also looking at the kind of future Roddenberry envisioned with the show that’s lasted over fifty years. Plus, Five Year Mission will be debuting their new album at the con! It’s a great way to avoid post-Thanksgiving shopping crowds, and spend time with local Geeks!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: We have some new animals in the house! Meet Casey and April, two foster rats from EARPS, who you might recall was the organization I was raising money for at Indy PopCon this year!
- Nightfall at Camp Havenwood Kickstarter: THIS ENDS FRIDAY, FOLKS!!! NOW’S THE TIME TO JUMP ON! If you pay attention to the Podcast, you might remember the episode (Link) where I talked with the crew behind this horror-themed game, being made here in Indiana. They have reworked a bit, and it’s back on Kickstarter! Jump on board before it ends on (naturally) Friday the 13th of October!
- Shop: If you look to the right hand side, there is a “Shop” link for the blog. Right now, it’s just fidget spinners and pins. I’m still working on getting discount codes, and other merchandise, up and good to go. Give it a try, if you’d like, but please, be patient! I’m still testing it!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables! I will never turn down Patreon supporters, one-time PayPal donations, folks shopping through the Amazon Affiliate Link, or even folks buying items from the Geeking shop! Check the link for more info!
See you all on Friday, for the next installment of Friendly Local Shop Friday!