Hey, don’t hate me, I don’t make the rules.
Anyway, I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. We spent Friday night playing games and watching movies, Saturday was spent looking for a Christmas tree for the Geek Cave, then setting it up before, in a fit of insanity, we starting hanging art up that’s just been sitting around since I moved into Geek Cave 3.0 over two years ago. Sunday was more of that insanity, along with decorating the tree and starting to organize the basement, because these are the sort of things you do when you can’t figure out where the outdoor decorations went! So now, I’m looking at a bunch of holiday decoration boxes in the living room, as I’m hosting a pair of local comic creators at the Geek Cave this evening to record Friday’s podcast, and thinking, “Whelp.” Such is life, right? Now…
Let’s go ahead, and look at the last month of 2017, December!
- December 5th: Basic Sewing Class! TONIGHT! Do you remember my FLS Friday write-up of the local costume shop, Incognito by Aris & Rome (here’s a link, if you forgot!)? Well, one of the things I talked to them about were classes on different costuming/cosplay techniques, and one of those basic techniques is sewing! Check out this two hour event, which costs $25 and includes supplies and machines!
- December 9th: Pitched signing at Porter Books & Bread! Hey, it’s the Pitched folks again! Do you need a gift for the movie nut in your life? Check out this book! Most of the creators will be in attendance, and it’ll be a good time!
- December 9th: Bra Wars- A Burlesque Tribute to Star Wars! It’s burlesque, with a Star Wars flavor! Featuring performances by The Yavin 4 and Ultra Kombo, two of our local bands who put out Geeky music, this show for Punk Rock Night at the Melody Inn might not be for everyone, especially not kids, but I know some of my readers will want to know!
- December 12th: Pattern Piecing! Another interesting class from Incognito, this time talking about how to use patterns! Specifically, how to take multiple patterns and put them together to make the costume you really want!
- December 16th: Basic Sewing Class! Club Cyberia (blog post link, to refresh your memory!) will be hosting their own basic sewing class at 2PM this Saturday! The cost is $30, and this one wants you to learn how to use your own machine, and how to be comfortable with it!
- December 17th: Introduction to 3D Printing! Club Cyberia will be hosting a class on how to 3D Print! Learn about different machines, how to use the machines at the maker space, and how to best choose an object for printing! Requires a laptop and 3-button mouse.
Hey, it’s almost 2018! Let’s look ahead to January!
- January 6th: Pattern Reading! Are you just getting into sewing, and you have no idea how to use that pattern you picked up off of Etsy, or at the fabric store? This class will teach the basics of buying patterns, and how to use it! Starting at 1PM, it’s hosted by Incognito by Aris and Rome, and Creative Energy Arts!
- January 6th: Introduction to EVA Foam! EVA Foam has become the savior of many cosplayers, helping replicate the look of hard armor on many types of costumes. This class will be an introduction on how to use it, including safety precautions (dust mask and eye protection required). $30, and you’ll learn everything you need to take home your own gauntlet. Starts at 5PM, and is hosted by Incognito by Aris and Rome.
- January 7th: The Return of Star Trek Discourse! The winter break is over, and Star Trek Discovery is back! This means Star Trek Discourse will be returning to the Indy Pop Con Facebook Page! We will be reconvening on Facebook Live an hour before the show starts on CBS All Access, and we’ll be discussing the mid-season closer/end of chapter one, “Into the Forest”!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: This is a normal thing to do with a set of Google Daydream goggles, right? Gotta make it look interesting while I’m leaned back, watching movies on the plane.
- Kickstarter – Clockwork Creatures: This new Kickstarter by friend of the blog Mike Ficarra is a really interesting take on Kickstarter. Head over to the page to check it out, before it goes away on December 24th!
- Kickstarter – Five Year Mission Year Four: Five Year Mission is a local rock band who plays music based on the original Star Trek television series! You might have heard their music opening recent episodes of the Indiana Geeking Podcast. Now, they have the Kickstarter up for their newest album, Year Four! The awesome thing? This funded in the first twenty four hours. AND they have already hit many of their stretch goals! This means you get more than just an album for just $10 ($10 gets you just the CD, $15 gets you one signed, and so on)! Check it out before it beams away on December 22nd!
- IndieGoGo – cy.PIPES VR: If you were at Starbase Indy, you might have had the opportunity to check out the VR rig set up by Chauncy Frend from IU. If you remember how the fans and the heat lamps made you feel like you were actually in the hot air balloon, this is the controller that took care of all of that! Check out the campaign for all of the information, and help make this a thing that gets out there!
- Support Geeking in Indiana: If you look to the right hand side, there is a support link for the blog. In this link, you’ll find information on the following:
- NEW MyMerch Shop! Where you can buy Geeking in Indiana t-shirts, hats, mugs, and more! Added bonus: MyMerch is a Hoosier company! #SupportLocal
- Geeking Shop! This is where you find the merchandise I keep in stock at the Geek Cave. Pins, magnets, patches, and fidget spinners, while supplies last!
- Affiliate Info! Amazon Affiliate Links, mainly, including gift idea affiliate posts.
- Other sites! Paypal, Patreon, Ko-Fi, and more!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Have a great week, and I’ll see you soon!