Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute animal pictures!
I hope everyone has had a fantastic week! I know this is an off-week for Tuesday Tidbits, but I have ended up with about a half dozen new pieces of information that needed to go out, so I wanted to get something fresh and new up for you! Plus, the Indy Star Voting ends tomorrow, so I wanted to get that push out. PLUS, we have a new puppy, so I wanted to get those pictures out. PLUS, hey, Support a Blogger links! So, here I am!
However, for now, we need to move on to the calendar! So, what’s going on?
First, August is here! What’s going on?
- August 16th – 26th: IndyFringe Festival! For those who don’t know, IndyFringe is a festival in Indianapolis that showcases independent theater. I think I’m describing it right, because it’s not 100% my scene, though I have attended in the past and seen a couple of fantastic shows! This year, I’ve got a couple shows that I’ve either heard about, or I’ve had the people doing them reach out to me because they think my readers might be interested (and I agree with them), so I wanted to give them a shout-out! Click the link above, or the link to the show itself, for the show times and more information!
- The Pope Walks int a Bar, Father Ned! This show, “lovingly inspired by Father Ted,” will feature Kyrsten, a increasingly frequent guest on the Obsessive Viewer Podcast. If that’s not cool enough, hey, it’s inspired by Father Ted. There might be some of us trying to attend the showing on Sunday, August 19th at 7:30 PM.
- Let’s Play a Freakin’ Board Game! This show is put on by Mark Cashwell, who reached out to me via email. He described the show as “a one-person show where I play classic board games with the audience only all the rules are improvised and there are drinking rules thrown in as well.” This sounds like it’s right up a lot of my reader’s alley! So, go check it out!
- August 18th: Doctor Who Cosplay Saturday @ WhoNA! Visit Who North America in Camby this Saturday in your Doctor Who costume to check out their museum, show off your gear, play some pinball, and pick up some new merch! Everyone in costume gets a free Squeeze Toy Rocket that celebrates their 20th Anniversary! Click the link for more info!
- August 18th: Fort Wayne Comic Book Convention! One day show at a Comfort Suites in Fort Wayne. Check the link for more information!
- August 24th – 26th: Indy Fur Con! This year’s theme is “Canadian Invasion”, they’re raising money for the Southside Animal Shelter, and EARPS will be in attendance! Get more information for this furry con at their website!
- August 24th – 26th: Horrorhound Weekend! Moving up a few weeks, and across town to the JW Marriott in Indianapolis, Horrorhound Weekend returns with guests, Maskfest, and more!
- August 25th & 26th: Evansville Museum Geek & Comic Con! Held at the Evansville Museum of Arts, History, and Space, this is a “celebration of the art, history, and science of sci-fi, geek culture and the art of comics.” Check out the event page link for details!
- August 25th: The Shake Ups Legendary Defenders Concert at Comic Carnival! Hey! It’s a Shake Ups show! Sadly, we’ll be heading down to Bloomington for ITCE, but you can be there for us, right?
- August 25th: Indy Disney Meet! Disney fans, rejoice! Here’s a meet-up of like-minded folks, ready to Geek out on Disney stuff! This has been growing, year after year, and I’ve heard good things about it! Check it out!
- August 25th: Expecto Festo! Held at the original Books & Brews, this event will feature Harry Potter trivia and bingo, a special menu, beer releases, and special drinks for kids. It’s a ticketed event, so check the link for details!
- August 26th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great single day toy show is back in Bloomington! With vendors, artist alley, contests for costumes and custom figures, and now with a podcaster alley! Needless to say, I will be there, in that alley! Click the link for more information!
September is right around the corner! What’s happening then?
- September 6th: KJ’s Cancer Sucks Party: A Kinda Nerdy Wish! KJ, from 107.9 The Mix, is a friend of the blog, and she runs the Kinda Nerdy News Podcast! She also does a lot of work with Make a Wish! This party is going to help Edward, and 8-year-old who wants to meet Goofy at Disney! Take a look at the event, see if you can go, or help, please!
- September 8th: Starbase Indy Fundraiser Night! Hosted by Books & Brews, this is a fundraiser for Starbase Indy! Costumes encouraged, there will be a Star Trek Settlers of Catan tournament, as well as a specific brew for Starbase Indy with $1 from every pint going to the con! Click the link for more info!
- September 8th and 9th: Hall of Heroes Comic Con! The Hall of Heroes in Elkhart is back for their second convention! I heard good things about last year’s unique show, so here’s hoping their sophomore year is just as strong!
- September 21st – 23rd: RamenCon! An anime show happening in South Bend, that’s been going on for a few years now! Check the link for more info!
- September 21st – 23rd: Supernatural: The Giving Back Tour! Creation Entertainment is bringing actors from Supernatural here to Indy! Take a look at the link for more info!
- September 22nd: Fiberglass Freaks Comic Con! It’s the 15th anniversary of Fiberglass Freaks, the Hoosier-based company that makes the licensed 1966 Batmobile replicas, and they’re throwing the party! Held at the Logansport/Cass County Airport, there are going to be Batmobiles, a Bat Cycle, even the Batcopter used in the ’66 movie and series! In addition, there will be vendors, and all the other trappings you enjoy from a con!
- September 22nd & 23rd: Fantasticon! Returning to Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Center, this show has been in town before, but as of this writing, their website and their FB page is pretty devoid of information concerning guests. Keep an eye open!
- September 29th: Book Signing & Author Reading at the Art Bank! Meet local authors, check out art, all in a historic building on Mass Ave. in Indy! Check the link for details, and the authors who will be in attendance.
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: May I present the newest member of the Geeking family, BB-8! BB-8 is a wee Pit Bull pup, and she’s getting along famously with Zoey, the Geek Dog! She also hasn’t eaten any comic books. Yet.
- Kickstarters! It’s been a bit since I’ve thrown some love to some local folks looking to crowdfund their projects. Let’s look at a couple of them that some friends of the Blog are running!
- Drop Out! This is a comic by Hoosier-based creator Courtney Hahn. To quote her page, it’s a “story of a young woman disassociating from her previous life after dropping out of college.” Get the details, and help back the book, at the link before it ends on September 10th!
- Danger Magnet Presents: Legacy of Darkness! This is an adventure from some groovy folks up in Kokomo! It uses the Ubiquity system, and it’s “a thrilling adventure set within the pulp-inspired imaginations of tabletop gamers the world over.” Check it out, and if you dig it, jump on board before it ends on August 25th!
- Indy Star’s “Best Things Indianapolis” Voting! Whelp. I’m begging for votes again! This time, it’s the Indy Star doing their “Best Things” voting. Now, through
August 15thTOMORROW, you can vote in a ton of categories, and choose from a ton of different nominees. I’m not doing a huge list, here, but I have four votes I’d love if you could all do, daily. These are all under “Things you do and see” on the voting page, and this will be the order if you’re scrolling down that list.
- Best local band or musical artist in Indianapolis: The Shake Ups
- Best local podcast in the Indianapolis area: Cult Cinema Cavalcade
- Best local social media personality in Indianapolis: Geeking in Indiana
- Best convention in Indianapolis: Indy PopCon
- Shocktober in Irvington 2018! It’s not on the calendar yet, but I wanted to get word out now! Shocktober in Irvington is a one-night showing of short horror films, many of which are made locally. Hosted by the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, this event not only features movies, but interviews with the film makers, and horror-themed giveaways. It’s held at Playhouse Productions in Irvington, and the proceeds from the event go towards the Irvington Historical Society. So, mark your calendars for October 12th, and get your tickets at the link above. In addition, use the code “GEEKING” at check out to save a dollar off your ticket! I’ll see you there!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Are you looking to help with medical bills? This link gets to to every place that you can help the blog, like buying through Amazon, buying Geeking merch, or even donating!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!