Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute animal pictures!
I hope everyone’s had a great week! We had a calm weekend in the Geek Cave, playing with the puppy, working on house breaking said puppy, cleaning carpets, cleaning carpets again, all while finishing the current seasons of Voltron and Duck Tales, and writing. This week is going to fly by, as we prepare to head down to Bloomington on Saturday, check out some shops, get our hotel room, and rest up for Indiana Toy and Comic Expo on Sunday, where I’ll be in Podcaster Row with some great folks! This is looking to be a great time, but it’s probably also going to be the final show for Geeking in 2018, so if you’re wanting to see Lizz or I, this is your chance!
However, for now, we need to move on to the calendar! As it’s getting towards the end of August, we’re also starting to look towards October! So, what’s going on?
First, August is here! What’s going on?
- August 16th – 26th: IndyFringe Festival! For those who don’t know, IndyFringe is a festival in Indianapolis that showcases independent theater. I think I’m describing it right, because it’s not 100% my scene, though I have attended in the past and seen a couple of fantastic shows! This year, I’ve got a couple shows that I’ve either heard about, or I’ve had the people doing them reach out to me because they think my readers might be interested (and I agree with them), so I wanted to give them a shout-out! Click the link above, or the link to the show itself, for the show times and more information!
- The Pope Walks into a Bar, Father Ned! This show, “lovingly inspired by Father Ted,” will feature Kyrsten, a increasingly frequent guest on the Obsessive Viewer Podcast. If that’s not cool enough, hey, it’s inspired by Father Ted. There might be some of us trying to attend the showing on Sunday, August 19th at 7:30 PM.
- Let’s Play a Freakin’ Board Game! This show is put on by Mark Cashwell, who reached out to me via email. He described the show as “a one-person show where I play classic board games with the audience only all the rules are improvised and there are drinking rules thrown in as well.” This sounds like it’s right up a lot of my reader’s alley! So, go check it out!
- August 24th – 26th: Indy Fur Con! This year’s theme is “Canadian Invasion”, they’re raising money for the Southside Animal Shelter, and EARPS will be in attendance! Get more information for this furry con at their website!
- August 24th – 26th: Horrorhound Weekend! Moving up a few weeks, and across town to the JW Marriott in Indianapolis, Horrorhound Weekend returns with guests, Maskfest, and more!
- August 25th & 26th: Evansville Museum Geek & Comic Con! Held at the Evansville Museum of Arts, History, and Space, this is a “celebration of the art, history, and science of sci-fi, geek culture and the art of comics.” Check out the event page link for details!
- August 25th: The Shake Ups Legendary Defenders Concert at Comic Carnival! Hey! It’s a Shake Ups show! Sadly, we’ll be heading down to Bloomington for ITCE, but you can be there for us, right?
- August 25th: Indy Disney Meet! Disney fans, rejoice! Here’s a meet-up of like-minded folks, ready to Geek out on Disney stuff! This has been growing, year after year, and I’ve heard good things about it! Check it out!
- August 25th: Expecto Festo! Held at the original Books & Brews, this event will feature Harry Potter trivia and bingo, a special menu, beer releases, and special drinks for kids. It’s a ticketed event, so check the link for details!
- August 26th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great single day toy show is back in Bloomington! With vendors, artist alley, contests for costumes and custom figures, and now with a podcaster alley! Needless to say, I will be there, in that alley! Click the link for more information!
September is right around the corner! What’s happening then?
- September 6th: KJ’s Cancer Sucks Party: A Kinda Nerdy Wish! KJ, from 107.9 The Mix, is a friend of the blog, and she runs the Kinda Nerdy News Podcast! She also does a lot of work with Make a Wish! This party is going to help Edward, and 8-year-old who wants to meet Goofy at Disney! Take a look at the event, see if you can go, or help, please!
- September 8th: Starbase Indy Fundraiser Night! Hosted by Books & Brews, this is a fundraiser for Starbase Indy! Costumes encouraged, there will be a Star Trek Settlers of Catan tournament, as well as a specific brew for Starbase Indy with $1 from every pint going to the con! Click the link for more info!
- September 8th and 9th: Hall of Heroes Comic Con! The Hall of Heroes in Elkhart is back for their second convention! I heard good things about last year’s unique show, so here’s hoping their sophomore year is just as strong!
- September 21st – 23rd: RamenCon! An anime show happening in South Bend, that’s been going on for a few years now! Check the link for more info!
- September 21st – 23rd: Supernatural: The Giving Back Tour! Creation Entertainment is bringing actors from Supernatural here to Indy! Take a look at the link for more info!
- September 22nd: Fiberglass Freaks Comic Con! It’s the 15th anniversary of Fiberglass Freaks, the Hoosier-based company that makes the licensed 1966 Batmobile replicas, and they’re throwing the party! Held at the Logansport/Cass County Airport, there are going to be Batmobiles, a Bat Cycle, even the Batcopter used in the ’66 movie and series! In addition, there will be vendors, and all the other trappings you enjoy from a con!
- September 22nd & 23rd: Fantasticon! Returning to Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Center, this show has been in town before, but as of this writing, their website and their FB page is pretty devoid of information concerning guests. Keep an eye open!
- September 29th: Book Signing & Author Reading at the Art Bank! Meet local authors, check out art, all in a historic building on Mass Ave. in Indy! Check the link for details, and the authors who will be in attendance.
October is also a huge month for Geeks, capping off with Halloween! However, there’s more than that happening!
- October 5th: Flashback Friday Beatles Celebration! Hosted at Radio Radio in Fountain Square, this show will feature friends of the blog The Shake Ups doing their Beatles set! Personal note: I’m psyched because, the last couple of years, this has been on the same night as Shocktober, so I’ll be able to attend this year!
- October 6th: Sci-Fi Central! Held at Science Central in Fort Wayne, this is a one-day show that features many fandoms, vendors, and a costume contest! Check the link for more info!
- October 12th: Shocktober in Irvington! Shocktober in Irvington is a one-night showing of short horror films, many of which are made locally. Hosted by the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, this event not only features movies, but interviews with the film makers, and horror-themed giveaways. It’s held at Playhouse Productions in Irvington, and the proceeds from the event go towards the Irvington Historical Society. So, mark your calendars for October 12th, and get your tickets at the link above. In addition, use the code “GEEKING” at check out to save a dollar off your ticket! I’ll see you there!
- October 13th: Kokomo-Con! This is a groovy, one-day, fan-run show up in Kokomo! Large dealer space, a gaming area, costume contest, and a good amount of free parking! While there, make sure you visit Geek Street, located downtown!
- October 26th – 28th: FortCON 2018! Billed as “Northeast Indiana’s largest bring your own computer (BYOC) LAN party and convention”! Held at the Grand Wayne Center in downtown Fort Wayne, check the link for more info! Tip of the fez to Nate Parker for the heads up on this!
- October 27th: Doctoberfest! Held at Who North America in Camby, this is a Doctor Who-themed celebration featuring vendors selling Doctor Who merchandise, a Doctor Who pumpkin carving contest, a Doctor Who costume contest, and of course, the full facilities of Who North America open, including their store, museum, and viewing area!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: The pup has knocked out the poor Geek Dog! Zoey is taking a well-earned nap, while BB-8 is passed out on the floor off-camera. Also, just a note: The cats are still alive and well. They’re just hiding from the puppy right now, and not staying still long enough for pictures.
- A Geeking in Indiana… FEZ? As many of you know, I’ve been rocking a fez as part of my Geek Gear since I bought my first one from Fez-o-rama back at Gen Con ’14. Between it and the Gen Con 50 fez I picked up last year, I’ve started to accumulate quite a love for these fun hats. Over the past few years, I’ve had blog readers ask me about the possibility of a Geeking Fez, so this year, I dropped by the Fez-o-rama booth at Gen Con to talk to them about the possibility. Well, they are game, so here’s what I know so far. First, their minimum is 15 fezzes. Next, it would probably run $65 – $80, and I was told that would also depend on what I would want to use as profit (I’m not planning on turning a profit on these. Yes, I’m a horrible business man). Finally, this is just EARLY talk. I haven’t reached out to Aric about a design or anything like that. I was just wondering… how many people would be willing to do this? I mean, when the order is made, this is something I would need money for UP FRONT, and I know that’s a HUGE commitment. However, I know many people that can vouch for the company, and the quality of their fezzes. So, if this is something you think you’d be into, and it’s something you want to commit towards, please visit this poll on Twitter, vote, and comment. Or else, drop me a line at the Head Geek at Indiana Geeking dot Com email address, and I’ll keep you in the loop.
- Kickstarters! It’s been a bit since I’ve thrown some love to some local folks looking to crowdfund their projects. Let’s look at a couple of them that some friends of the Blog are running!
- Drop Out! This is a comic by Hoosier-based creator Courtney Hahn. To quote her page, it’s a “story of a young woman disassociating from her previous life after dropping out of college.” Get the details, and help back the book, at the link before it ends on September 10th!
- Danger Magnet Presents: Legacy of Darkness! This is an adventure from some groovy folks up in Kokomo! It uses the Ubiquity system, and it’s “a thrilling adventure set within the pulp-inspired imaginations of tabletop gamers the world over.” Check it out, and if you dig it, jump on board before it ends on August 25th!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Are you looking to help with medical bills? This link gets to to every place that you can help the blog, like buying through Amazon, buying Geeking merch, or even donating!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!