Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute animal pictures!
I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! Mine was fun, and very productive! We went to Bloomington on Saturday, to get to ITCE early, and had the opportunity to visit TWO new shops to add to the blog’s Shop listing! Then, we had dinner then coffee with friends that we’ve never really had the chance to spend time with outside of conventions, and it was fantastic! Sunday was Indiana Toy and Comic, and I had SO MUCH FUN talking to friends, meeting new people, meeting awesome people I only know from online, and having the real podcasters look at me weird when I talk about “not being a real podcaster”, but then pulling out equipment for them to use during their panel. I will have my thoughts up on this year’s show soon, but in a nutshell? I think Billy and his crew have really built something cool, and fun, and moving it down to Bloomington is probably one of the smartest decisions they’ve made. I’m looking forward to watching this show grow next year!
However, for now, we need to move on to the calendar! We have less than a week left of August, so we’re going to roll into September, and then October, both of which have new events added since last week! So, what’s going on?
September is starting on Saturday! What’s happening then?
- September 1st: Mosey Down Main Street! Held in Lafayette, this is a street festival that will be featuring the music of The Shake Ups! I love them, you love them, so go! Click the event link for more info!
- September 6th: KJ’s Cancer Sucks Party: A Kinda Nerdy Wish! KJ, from 107.9 The Mix, is a friend of the blog, and she runs the Kinda Nerdy News Podcast! She also does a lot of work with Make a Wish! This party is going to help Edward, and 8-year-old who wants to meet Goofy at Disney! Take a look at the event, see if you can go, or help, please!
- September 8th: Starbase Indy Fundraiser Night! Hosted by Books & Brews, this is a fundraiser for Starbase Indy! Costumes encouraged, there will be a Star Trek Settlers of Catan tournament, as well as a specific brew for Starbase Indy with $1 from every pint going to the con! Click the link for more info!
- September 8th and 9th: Hall of Heroes Comic Con! The Hall of Heroes in Elkhart is back for their second convention! I heard good things about last year’s unique show, so here’s hoping their sophomore year is just as strong!
- September 21st – 23rd: RamenCon! An anime show happening in South Bend, that’s been going on for a few years now! Check the link for more info!
- September 21st – 23rd: Supernatural: The Giving Back Tour! Creation Entertainment is bringing actors from Supernatural here to Indy! Take a look at the link for more info!
- September 22nd: Fiberglass Freaks Comic Con! It’s the 15th anniversary of Fiberglass Freaks, the Hoosier-based company that makes the licensed 1966 Batmobile replicas, and they’re throwing the party! Held at the Logansport/Cass County Airport, there are going to be Batmobiles, a Bat Cycle, even the Batcopter used in the ’66 movie and series! In addition, there will be vendors, and all the other trappings you enjoy from a con!
- September 22nd & 23rd: Fantasticon! Returning to Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Center, this show has been in town before, but as of this writing, their website and their FB page is pretty devoid of information concerning guests. Keep an eye open!
- September 29th: Book Signing & Author Reading at the Art Bank! Meet local authors, check out art, all in a historic building on Mass Ave. in Indy! Check the link for details, and the authors who will be in attendance.
October is also a huge month for Geeks, capping off with Halloween! However, there’s more than that happening!
- October 5th: Flashback Friday Beatles Celebration! Hosted at Radio Radio in Fountain Square, this show will feature friends of the blog The Shake Ups doing their Beatles set! Personal note: I’m psyched because, the last couple of years, this has been on the same night as Shocktober, so I’ll be able to attend this year!
- October 6th: Sci-Fi Central! Held at Science Central in Fort Wayne, this is a one-day show that features many fandoms, vendors, and a costume contest! Check the link for more info!
- October 6th & 7th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Jousting! Music! Food! Swords! Need I say more? Held at
Deer Creek Verizon Wireless KlipschRuoff Home Mortgage Music Center near Noblesville! Check the website for more details!
- October 12th: Shocktober in Irvington! Shocktober in Irvington is a one-night showing of short horror films, many of which are made locally. Hosted by the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, this event not only features movies, but interviews with the film makers, and horror-themed giveaways. It’s held at Playhouse Productions in Irvington, and the proceeds from the event go towards the Irvington Historical Society. So, mark your calendars for October 12th, and get your tickets at the link above. In addition, use the code “GEEKING” at check out to save a dollar off your ticket! I’ll see you there!
- October 13th: Kokomo-Con! This is a groovy, one-day, fan-run show up in Kokomo! Large dealer space, a gaming area, costume contest, and a good amount of free parking! While there, make sure you visit Geek Street, located downtown!
- October 20th: South Bend Monster Comic Con! In South Bend, at the Century Center, this looks to be a one-day show featuring all sorts of pop culture. Take a look at the website for more info! Tip of the fez to Chris M. for the heads up on this!
- October 26th – 28th: FortCON 2018! Billed as “Northeast Indiana’s largest bring your own computer (BYOC) LAN party and convention”! Held at the Grand Wayne Center in downtown Fort Wayne, check the link for more info! Tip of the fez to Nate Parker for the heads up on this!
- October 27th: Doctoberfest! Held at Who North America in Camby, this is a Doctor Who-themed celebration featuring vendors selling Doctor Who merchandise, a Doctor Who pumpkin carving contest, a Doctor Who costume contest, and of course, the full facilities of Who North America open, including their store, museum, and viewing area!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: The Geek Dog and the Geek Pup are getting along famously, in case anyone was curious. Watching these two play is just a trip.
- A Geeking in Indiana… FEZ? Well, the voting is over, and out of 24 people, it seems we have 6 folks that would be interested. Even with one for Aric, and one for me, that’s only half of the amount we would need for the minimum. However, I’m going to reach out to Aric and Jason about seeing if we can get a mock-up, and a price, and then I’m going to put it back out there. Watch this space!
- Appearances! With ITCE wrapped up, Lizz and I are probably going to be laying pretty low for the remainder of 2018. We need to get bills in check, work on some projects around the Geek Cave, and focus more on where we want Geeking to go over the rest of the year, and moving forward to 2019. I can tell you I will be at Shocktober in Irvington (see above for info) and at KokomoCon with Star Wars Indiana in my new costume, but otherwise? Sticking around the house, writing, fixing things, learning how to sew, and learning the 3D Printer.
- Kickstarters! It’s been a bit since I’ve thrown some love to some local folks looking to crowdfund their projects. Let’s look at a couple of them that some friends of the Blog are running!
- Drop Out! This is a comic by Hoosier-based creator Courtney Hahn. To quote her page, it’s a “story of a young woman disassociating from her previous life after dropping out of college.” Get the details, and help back the book, at the link before it ends on September 10th!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Are you looking to help with medical bills? This link gets to to every place that you can help the blog, like buying through Amazon, buying Geeking merch, or even donating!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!