Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute animal pictures!
We are now into October, the month loved by those who yearn for all things spooky. It’s time for horror-themed podcast episodes, dusting off old costumes for parties, and so much pumpkin spice and candy corn stuff, accompanied by the hate from those people who don’t like other people enjoying things. I’m looking forward to a lot of great things this month, like the Flashback Friday in just a few days, Shocktober in Irvington, Kokomo-Con, the Halloween Tribute Bash, and Doctoberfest because first, they’re all going to be a great time, and second, it’s going to be the final things the blog really participates in this year! I have too much going on around the Geek Cave, plus I just need to slow down even more because I keep getting reminded that I’ve been hit by a car, and I haven’t taken care of myself. I mean, seriously, that was three months ago! It’s not like we’re still waiting to hear from IMPD that they’ve caught the person who hit us…
So, let’s move on to what’s happening for Hoosier Geeks!
October is also a huge month for Geeks, capping off with Halloween!
- October 5th: Flashback Friday Beatles Celebration! Hosted at Radio Radio in Fountain Square, this show will feature friends of the blog The Shake Ups doing their Beatles set! Personal note: I’m psyched because, the last couple of years, this has been on the same night as Shocktober, so I’ll be able to attend this year!
- October 6th: Sci-Fi Central! Held at Science Central in Fort Wayne, this is a one-day show that features many fandoms, vendors, and a costume contest! Check the link for more info!
- October 6th & 7th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Jousting! Music! Food! Swords! Need I say more? Held at
Deer Creek Verizon Wireless KlipschRuoff Home Mortgage Music Center near Noblesville! Check the website for more details!
- October 12th: Shocktober in Irvington! Shocktober in Irvington is a one-night showing of short horror films, many of which are made locally. Hosted by the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, this event not only features movies, but interviews with the film makers, and horror-themed giveaways. It’s held at Playhouse Productions in Irvington, and the proceeds from the event go towards the Irvington Historical Society. So, mark your calendars for October 12th, and get your tickets at the link above. In addition, use the code “GEEKING” at check out to save a dollar off your ticket! I’ll see you there!
- October 12th – 14th: Amaicon! It’s a local, fan-run anime con, held at the Wyndham West in Indianapolis! Check their website for more information!
- October 13th: Kokomo-Con! This is a groovy, one-day, fan-run show up in Kokomo! Large dealer space, a gaming area, costume contest, and a good amount of free parking! While there, make sure you visit Geek Street, located downtown!
- October 14th: Ash Toy and Comic Show! This long-running toy and comic show will be at the Rodeway Inn off 21st in Indianapolis!
- October 20th: South Bend Monster Comic Con! In South Bend, at the Century Center, this looks to be a one-day show featuring all sorts of pop culture. Take a look at the website for more info! Tip of the fez to Chris M. for the heads up on this!
- October 26th: Halloween Tribute Bash! Held at the Melody Inn in Indianapolis, this line up of tributes will include the music of Willie Nelson, New Order, Weezer, and it has friends of the blog The Shake Ups covering THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!! 21 and older only.
- October 26th – 28th: FortCON 2018! Billed as “Northeast Indiana’s largest bring your own computer (BYOC) LAN party and convention”! Held at the Grand Wayne Center in downtown Fort Wayne, check the link for more info! Tip of the fez to Nate Parker for the heads up on this!
- October 27th: Doctoberfest! Held at Who North America in Camby, this is a Doctor Who-themed celebration featuring vendors selling Doctor Who merchandise, a Doctor Who pumpkin carving contest, a Doctor Who costume contest, and of course, the full facilities of Who North America open, including their store, museum, and viewing area!
- October 27th: The Shake Ups at Halloween Comic Fest! The Saturday before Halloween has become a mini-Free Comic Book Day, and Comic Carnival in Indianapolis is giving away Comic Fest-branded comic books, candy for costumers, and they’re hosting the local band, The Shake Ups! I really like The Shake Ups, folks.
November is creeping up, as well, with a a bit of things happening outside of Thanksgiving!
- November 4th: Thanks4Giving 2018! Hosted by Who’s Yer Gamers, this is a one day gaming event at the Indianapolis Wyndham West! Running from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, the game library will be open for the small cost of either $10, or at least two non-perishable food items. All food and donations will go to Gleaner’s Food Bank!
- November 16th: Geek Rock Night! Held at the Melody Inn in Indianapolis, this show is a CD Release by local group Robots and Magic Powers, and will also feature New York-based The Fantastic Plastics, and friends of the blog The Shake Ups! Remember: The Melody Inn is a 21 and older venue, and cash is required!
- November 23rd – 25th: Starbase Indy! You spent Thanksgiving dodging your family’s political discussions, so reward yourself with a weekend hanging with your Geek family! Starbase Indy is a great mix of science fiction and STEM, with a guest list to match. Check out the website for all the details, and go ahead and reserve a room, as well, so you can enjoy the room parties after hours!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: Switching up a bit, since it’s now October. This is “Bony Troxell” done by my friend Lee Cherolis! He does fantastic custom avatars, ON TOP OF playing with The Shake Ups and drawing Little Guardians!
- Appearances! I need to rest. This month, I’ll be at KokomoCon with the Star Wars folks, and then I’ll be sharing a booth space with Rachel from The Five-ish Fangirls at Doctoberfest. After that? I need to focus on myself, and my family, for the rest of 2018.
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Are you looking to help with medical bills? This link gets to to every place that you can help the blog, like buying through Amazon, buying Geeking merch, or even donating!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
- HEY! Where’s the cute pet pic? Here you go! Zoey isn’t fond of sharing her recliner in the Geek Cave HQ with BB-8.
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!