Good day, my friends! I hope everybody had a great weekend! From the sounds of it, Indiana Comic Con really brought their A-Game to Indianapolis this weekend, even though there were still a few bumps along the way. What really matters, at least to me, is that people had a good time, and made good memories, so I’m thankful for that. Me, however, really enjoyed my 4th year at the Lexington Comic and Toy Convention. I saw friends, trolled some TIE Pilots while wearing my A-Wing gear, and have vowed to never set foot in the BlueFire Bar & Grill inside the Hyatt Regency again, after a horrendous dinner experience on Saturday night. However, that did not place a damper on the entire weekend, just Saturday night. Plus, you can’t get too upset when you have the opportunity to sneak a selfie with a Dalek!
Also, in case you missed it, I’d like to say “Congrats!” to reader “Kotor21”! He was the winner of the $50 Geeky Pleasures gift card! A huge thanks to everyone that entered, and a doubly huge thanks to Jules for the opportunity to do the give away!
Now, with all of this behind us, let’s look ahead to see what’s happening the remainder of the month!
First, the rest of March:
- March 21: Five Year Mission & Shake Ups in Ponyville! Two of our very talented “fandom” bands are playing at Purdue University, at Carnahan Hall, at 8:00 PM! If you love fun music, Star Trek, My Little Pony, and sheer awesomeness, you need to be in attendance.
- March 21: Christine Boylan & Eric Heisserer Signing! Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie will be hosting Christine Boylan (Legion of Superheroes) and Eric Heisserer (Shaper) at their store from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- March 21: Kyle Starks Signing! Held at Downtown Comics West from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM, Kyle Starks will be visiting, sketching, and signing his books, including his new work, Sexcastle, from Image Comics!
- March 27: Friday Night Frights! Featuring the films of Joshua Hull, who created the subject of yesterday’s Media Monday post! Starting at 7:30 PM at the Strand Theater in Shelbyville, they will be doing a double feature of The Impersonators, followed by Chopping Block!
- March 27 – 29: Eville Con! Evansville’s own anime convention! I’m always thrilled to see things happening in cities in this state that aren’t Indianapolis!
- March 28: WhoNA Open House! Doctor Who collectibles. Whovians. Good people. 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Need I say more?
Let’s also look ahead to April:
- April 4: TippyCon! The first year for this one day show at the Lafayette Theater in Lafayette, IN! Thanks to Trae Dorn for the heads up on this!
- April 11: Brian K. Vaughan Signing at Aw Yeah Comics Muncie! Yes, folks, the writer behind Saga, Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and more will be signing at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM! Click the link for more info!
- April 17 – 18: Pop! Con Evansville! In no way affiliated with Indy Pop Con, this is still a fun show happening in Evansville! It’s always good to remember that not every convention and event happens in Indianapolis! Click the link for more information!
- April 17 – 19: Who’s Yer Con! This free gaming convention is held at the Wyndham West Hotel in Indianapolis, and is a great way to get your game on! I’m finally able to attend this year, and I’m greatly looking forward to it!
- April 19: The INDYpendent Self-Publisher Show! Joining forces with Who’s Yer Con, the INDYpendent Show will be free for attendees this year! This is a great event for anyone interested in creating your own book or comic, and a great way to interact with local creators!
Now, after spending the evening with the fine people at the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, I realized I’d been neglecting our awesome local museums, which often times has exhibits with a pop culture and Geeky focus. This is the reasoning for a new section of Tuesday Tidbits, since these exhibits last for months, and it will be easier to put them in their own section than to add them to the monthly schedule! So, let’s take a look at what’s going on in Hoosier Museums:
- Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
- Inside Hollywood Film & TV: You’re on the Set!
- When is it? Now through July 26th!
- What is it? This exhibit give your family the opportunity to see how movies and television shows happen! With sets, green screen, costumes, props, and even animation stations, you can act out different scripts! Plus, there are props and costumes on display from properties like Men in Black, Ghostbusters, Spider Man, Hook, and more! Check out my thoughts on the exhibit here!
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- When is it? Now through July 26th!
- What is it? Celebrating the franchise’s 30th anniversary, this exhibit takes a look at the history of the toys and entertainment, how the toys are designed and made, and looks at upcoming media featuring the property! Check out my thoughts on the exhibit here!
- Hot Wheels: Race to Win
- When is it? Opens on May 9th, and runs through August 16th!
- What is it? Using Hot Wheels, your family can learn how to create fast, and safe, racing machines! Learn the science behind racing, and check out memorabilia and race gear! Very appropriate for the month of May in Indianapolis!
- Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secrets of the Sewer!
- When is it? Opens on September 26, and runs through April 10th, 2016!
- What is it? This is the first museum exhibit featuring everybody’s favorite Turtles! Explore the Turtle’s lair, and use problem solving and team work to solve puzzles, mazes, and obstacles!
- Inside Hollywood Film & TV: You’re on the Set!
- Little Guardians Patreon! My friends Lee and Ed from the Little Guardians comic started their Patreon on Monday, December 1st, with the goal of bringing their strip to the next level, like paying a colorist to really make those awesome pages pop!
- Title Unrelated Patreon! Yes, another Patreon! I just realized that my friend G Pike also had a Patreon for Title Unrelated! G is another local artist, and member of the Indy Webcomics Group, and is just an outstanding artist! Check it out!
- Kyle Latino Patreon! Kyle’s no longer in Indiana, but he’s a good chap, so I’m making sure to throw him on here! Kyle does cool stuff like Prime 8’s and Welcome to Slinktown, Jerks, and he gives some good peeks and exclusives to contributors!
- Troy Brownfield Patreon! Troy Brownfield, along with Enkaru and Ben Olsen, work on Sparkshooter and Solo Acoustic. This will help them focus more on this work!
- RSquared Studios Patreon! These fine folks, all experienced in comics, are looking to be able to focus on their own IP, Yva Starling: Troubleshooter. This Patreon will help them focus on that.
- Just Plain Something Patreon! Katie and her boyfriend, Mike, had a podcast where they talk about movies on the drive home from them. Katie also records podcasts under the Just Plain Something banner. They are also looking to do YouTube videos! Take a look at their Patreon, and give them a hand with their dream!
Next, I’m going to go back to keeping other crowdfunding, like Kickstarter, Indie Go Go, and GoFundMe accounts, separate.
- Out of Time: Saving the DeLorean Time Machine! Yeah, this isn’t local, but I used to hang out with a lot of these guys at my friend Sean’s place, back when I was living in California. This is a good group, and this is a GREAT thing they had the opportunity to do, so I want to throw what little weight I have behind them. This is a film talking about the complete restoration of the DeLorean Time Machine from Back To The Future! Take a look at this Kickstarter, and hell, a digital copy of the film is only $10! Jump on it before it ends on April 7!
- Help Expand Who North America! Who North America’s lease is almost up, and they’re looking to expand! As many of you know, WhoNA is an online retailer that’s also a hub of Whovian fandom here in Indianapolis. They’re looking to get more space, especially for their Doctor Who museum, but they need help raising the funds. Take a look at their Go Fund Me page, and see if you’d like to help!
- If you haven’t heard, I’ve started a podcast. Indiana Geeking is currently posting on Friday, using Podbean as a host. I’m still trying to figure out where I’m going with this, and it’s a solo show for the time being, although I’m hoping to have Bri on soon, as well as some other folks, plus interviews with local Geeks and creators. You can keep your eyes and ears open on Fridays, as I’ll be posting the new episodes on here (with links mentioned in the shows), or you can subscribe and listen using the Stitcher podcast app, or subscribe on iTunes. If you like what I’m doing, please feel free to rate and comment accordingly!
- This is a few months down the road, but the Jennings County Public Library in North Vernon, IN is looking to host a small Comic Con to kick off their summer reading program, which is all about super heroes. They are looking for people that would normally show at a convention: Comic shops, cosplayers, artists. They are not charging for booth space, and they will be happy to work with people to help you give their town the best little con they can! This mini-con will be Thursday, May 28th, from 4PM to 7PM. If you would be interested, please let me know, either through Social Media or at IndianaGeeking@gmail.com and I can get you their contact information.
- You’ve probably seen my business card, or at least the image of it, which I use on the Podcast. The gentleman who created that for me, Aric “Tikikitchen” Harris, now has an Etsy shop, where he sells his tiki-inspired wares. He’s also put up some great prints in honor of Leonard Nimoy, and you really should check them out. His Etsy store is here! Show enough love, and we might see more of him at Indy Pop Con!
- Do you have a tip, or a request? Please drop me a line at IndianaGeeking@gmail.com and I’ll be more than happy to give you a shout out, or answer any questions you might have!
- As always, please remember to #FeedABlogger by using the banners on my site if you’re looking to shop through Amazon, or Think Geek. I strive to provide all of this for free, but I’m starting to get a bit of overhead that my job just will not cover, plus I would like to be able to throw a bit of compensation at my staff from time to time, either in the form of money (cash only, coins hurt) or tasty alcoholic beverages.