Good day, my friends! Geez, can you believe March has almost marched on out of 2015 already? I had an outstanding weekend, where I checked out the Rhythm Discovery Center downtown, did some recording with Bri for the podcast, and stuck close to the apartment due to being “On Call” for the day job. That’s okay, though, because after everything in February, combined with a mad dash to complete a costume for Lexington a few weeks ago, the Geek Cave is trashed and I need to take the time to pick up the pieces, do some dishes, organize some things, and maybe, just MAYBE play some video games, before delving back into the abysmal depths of foam crafting and costume making.
Gotta stay busy, or else the voices start back up. Those voices tell me to start a political blog. We need to drown out the voices. Perhaps a lot of stuff happening over the next few months will help?
First, the rest of March:
- March 27: Friday Night Frights! Featuring the films of Joshua Hull, who created the subject of yesterday’s Media Monday post! Starting at 7:30 PM at the Strand Theater in Shelbyville, they will be doing a double feature of The Impersonators, followed by Chopping Block!
- March 27 – 29: Eville Con! Evansville’s own anime convention! I’m always thrilled to see things happening in cities in this state that aren’t Indianapolis!
- March 28: WhoNA Open House! Doctor Who collectibles. Whovians. Good people. 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Need I say more?
April is right around the corner:
- April 4: TippyCon! The first year for this one day show at the Lafayette Theater in Lafayette, IN! Thanks to Trae Dorn for the heads up on this!
- April 11: Brian K. Vaughan Signing at Aw Yeah Comics Muncie! Yes, folks, the writer behind Saga, Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and more will be signing at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM! Click the link for more info!
- April 17 – 18: Pop! Con Evansville! In no way affiliated with Indy Pop Con, this is still a fun show happening in Evansville! It’s always good to remember that not every convention and event happens in Indianapolis! Click the link for more information!
- April 17 – 19: Who’s Yer Con! This free gaming convention is held at the Wyndham West Hotel in Indianapolis, and is a great way to get your game on! I’m finally able to attend this year, and I’m greatly looking forward to it!
- April 19: The INDYpendent Self-Publisher Show! Joining forces with Who’s Yer Con, the INDYpendent Show will be free for attendees this year! This is a great event for anyone interested in creating your own book or comic, and a great way to interact with local creators, including the blog’s very own Bri!
- April 25: WhoNA Open House! Doctor Who collectibles. Whovians. Good people. 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Need I say more?
May has more than racing:
- May 2: Free Comic Book Day! It’s so close, you guys! Look for a blog post the week before, talking about what shops will be doing what for this event!
- May 3: Ash Comic Show! An Indianapolis tradition! They have moved from the East Side of town to the Caribbean Cove Hotel off 465 and Michigan on the Northwest Side of town!
- May 16-17: Appleseed Comic Con! This is a great, locally-ran Comic Book convention in Fort Wayne. No big-name media guests, just creators, comics, and a good time.
- May 23: My birthday! Do I honestly expect anything to be purchased off of this list? Aw, heck no! However, if something ends up at my place, I would be a very happy old Geek, indeed!
Now, for events that are longer than a weekend, let’s take a look at what’s going on in Hoosier Museums:
- Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
- Inside Hollywood Film & TV: You’re on the Set!
- When is it? Now through July 26th!
- What is it? This exhibit give your family the opportunity to see how movies and television shows happen! With sets, green screen, costumes, props, and even animation stations, you can act out different scripts! Plus, there are props and costumes on display from properties like Men in Black, Ghostbusters, Spider Man, Hook, and more! Check out my thoughts on the exhibit here!
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- When is it? Now through July 26th!
- What is it? Celebrating the franchise’s 30th anniversary, this exhibit takes a look at the history of the toys and entertainment, how the toys are designed and made, and looks at upcoming media featuring the property! Check out my thoughts on the exhibit here!
- Hot Wheels: Race to Win
- When is it? Opens on May 9th, and runs through August 16th!
- What is it? Using Hot Wheels, your family can learn how to create fast, and safe, racing machines! Learn the science behind racing, and check out memorabilia and race gear! Very appropriate for the month of May in Indianapolis!
- Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secrets of the Sewer!
- When is it? Opens on September 26, and runs through April 10th, 2016!
- What is it? This is the first museum exhibit featuring everybody’s favorite Turtles! Explore the Turtle’s lair, and use problem solving and team work to solve puzzles, mazes, and obstacles!
- Inside Hollywood Film & TV: You’re on the Set!
- Little Guardians Patreon! My friends Lee and Ed from the Little Guardians comic started their Patreon on Monday, December 1st, with the goal of bringing their strip to the next level, like paying a colorist to really make those awesome pages pop!
- Title Unrelated Patreon! Yes, another Patreon! I just realized that my friend G Pike also had a Patreon for Title Unrelated! G is another local artist, and member of the Indy Webcomics Group, and is just an outstanding artist! Check it out!
- Kyle Latino Patreon! Kyle’s no longer in Indiana, but he’s a good chap, so I’m making sure to throw him on here! Kyle does cool stuff like Prime 8’s and Welcome to Slinktown, Jerks, and he gives some good peeks and exclusives to contributors!
- Troy Brownfield Patreon! Troy Brownfield, along with Enkaru and Ben Olsen, work on Sparkshooter and Solo Acoustic. This will help them focus more on this work!
- RSquared Studios Patreon! These fine folks, all experienced in comics, are looking to be able to focus on their own IP, Yva Starling: Troubleshooter. This Patreon will help them focus on that.
- Just Plain Something Patreon! Katie and her boyfriend, Mike, had a podcast where they talk about movies on the drive home from them. Katie also records podcasts under the Just Plain Something banner. They are also looking to do YouTube videos! Take a look at their Patreon, and give them a hand with their dream!
Next, I’m going to go back to keeping other crowdfunding, like Kickstarter, Indie Go Go, and GoFundMe accounts, separate.
- Out of Time: Saving the DeLorean Time Machine! Yeah, this isn’t local, but I used to hang out with a lot of these guys at my friend Sean’s place, back when I was living in California. This is a good group, and this is a GREAT thing they had the opportunity to do, so I want to throw what little weight I have behind them. This is a film talking about the complete restoration of the DeLorean Time Machine from Back To The Future! Take a look at this Kickstarter, and hell, a digital copy of the film is only $10! Jump on it before it ends on April 7!
- Help Expand Who North America! Who North America’s lease is almost up, and they’re looking to expand! As many of you know, WhoNA is an online retailer that’s also a hub of Whovian fandom here in Indianapolis. They’re looking to get more space, especially for their Doctor Who museum, but they need help raising the funds. Take a look at their Go Fund Me page, and see if you’d like to help!
- So far, the Indiana Geeking Podcast is five episodes in, and starting this week, I’m not flying solo! You can keep your eyes and ears open on Fridays, as I’ll be posting the new episodes on here (with links mentioned in the shows), or you can subscribe and listen using the Stitcher podcast app, or subscribe on iTunes. If you like what I’m doing, please feel free to rate and comment accordingly!
- This is a few months down the road, but the Jennings County Public Library in North Vernon, IN is looking to host a small Comic Con to kick off their summer reading program, which is all about super heroes. They are looking for people that would normally show at a convention: Comic shops, cosplayers, artists. They are not charging for booth space, and they will be happy to work with people to help you give their town the best little con they can! This mini-con will be Thursday, May 28th, from 4PM to 7PM. If you would be interested, please let me know, either through Social Media or at IndianaGeeking@gmail.com and I can get you their contact information.
- If you’ve noticed some of the graphics I use around the blog, you might notice a slowly growing theme in the imagry. The gentleman who has been creating these graphics for me, Aric “Tikikitchen” Harris, has an Etsy shop full of his other artwork, from science fiction to tiki-inspired. His Etsy store is here! Show enough love, and we might see more of him at Indy Pop Con!
- Do you have a tip, or a request? Please drop me a line at IndianaGeeking@gmail.com and I’ll be more than happy to give you a shout out, or answer any questions you might have!
- As always, please remember to #FeedABlogger by using the banners on my site if you’re looking to shop through Amazon, or Think Geek. I strive to provide all of this for free, but I’m starting to get a bit of overhead that my job just will not cover, plus I would like to be able to throw a bit of compensation at my staff from time to time, either in the form of money (cash only, coins hurt) or tasty alcoholic beverages.