Happy Tuesday, my friends! It seems that, as of late, this is all that I’ve been doing on here! That’s because the month of May has been a heck of a lot busier than I thought it was going to be! However, I’ve got a bit of downtime this week, so I’m hoping to get something up on Thursday or Friday, including a brief podcast and a Periscope that I’ll record on Thursday night. However, this evening is my birthday, so I’m going to jump off of here, get some cake, and play some Fallout 4 until I’m ready to pass out. Because THAT is what 39 is like, my friends!
Let’s look to the rest of the month of May!
- May 25th – The real Star Wars Day, dang it! Star Wars premiered on this day in 1977. Forget the puns, this is the day that should be long remembered.
Next, we look to June!
- June 5th – Ash Comic & Toy Show! One of Indianapolis’ longest running shows has their next event at the Caribbean Cove Hotel off Michigan on the northwest side!
- June 11th – The Shake Ups Bake Up! From 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM, join the Shake Ups in Ponyville at Hero’s Emporium for a bake sale supporting No Kid Hungry! Get baked goods, and try to decide: muffin or cupcake?
- June 15th: Chopping Block Screening! Chopping Block, a film by local filmmaker Joshua Hull, will be screened at the original Sinking Ship! In addition, they will have beers from Scarlet Lane Brewing Company in McCordsville on tap! This will be at 9:30 PM, there will a themed menu, and it’ll just flat-out be a good time!
- June 16th – 19th: DroidCon 4! What I know: This is a convention for builders of Star Wars-style droids. What I don’t know: Anything else. I’ve reached out to their contact a few times, and have received no response. I’ve even checked my junk/spam folder. So, check it out at your own risk.
- June 17th – 19th: Indy Pop Con! Oh, heck yeah! One of my favorite downtown Indy cons! Team Geeking will be there, either interviewing folks, taking pictures, or vending! Come join a good time!
- June 22nd: Archie Signing at Aw Yeah Muncie! Come join Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie as they welcome Archie writer Mark Waid, and artist Veronica Fish, from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM!
- June 24th – 26th: Days of the Dead! A locally ran horror convention that I normally hear good things about! Click the link for more information!
- June 26th – Fort Wayne Hobby and Collectibles Show! Held at the Classic Cafe in Fort Wayne, check them out between 11:00 AM and 5:00 PM and see if you can fill holes in your collection! Toys, comics, records, and more!
Hey! We have some Kickstarter campaigns to list! Remember, I don’t necessarily endorse these, I just know they are Hoosier-based campaigns, of a Geeky interest, and I want you all to look into them, and make your own decisions!
- Campaign Trail – Have you ever thought campaigning for public office looked fun? This game has you campaigning, fundraising, ad vying for the position of President! Take a look before the polls close on June 2nd!
- “First Officer’s Log” 5oth Anniversary Con*Quest Journal – I’ve covered the Con*Quest Journals here before, and I strongly believe they are a “must own” for anyone who is looking for cool and unique ways to store and display their convention memories! This campaign is for their journal commemorating the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek! Available in hardcover or leather, you really want to check this out, before it beams back up on June 4th!
- Awful Fantasy: The Card Game – This is a comedy/fantasy card game, where you play the role of an author, and you’re competing to be the first in completing their awful fantasy novel! Added bonus: It’s already funded! This looks kinda fun, so you might want to check it out before they close the book on June 5th.
- Paper Triangle #1 – Kathryn Silver’s comic about a magic pen in the hands of an artist has already met its goal, but you know you want in on the first issue! Plus, she’s got a lot of great stuff in the stretch goals! Check it out before it ends on June 11th!
- Level Up Barcade & Grill – From the looks of it, the goal of this Kickstarter is to open a retro arcade and grill in Fort Wayne. They’re just getting started from the looks of it, so check it out before it ends on June 23rd!
- Mind Revel Podcast – Friend of the blog Carl Doninger is looking to start a new podcast, and he needs equipment! This IndieGoGo campaign has some spiffy perks, like being a co-host, and more! Check it out, and help a good local dude put out a good local ‘cast!
Finally, what’s happening with the blog?
- Picture of the week: The Geek Cat finally has found his biggest fan.
- Next week, I’ll be posting up events occurring in June and July. Do you have an event that should be included? Drop me a line, either via email or via social media, or even with a comment!
- As I said last week, it looks like I’m tabling at my first convention this summer! That’s right, I was invited to set up a Fan Table at InConJunction this year, and I’m seeing if they would like to run an Awkward Twitter Mingle, as well! In addition, I’m also going to be a guest at Teen Con 2016 in New Castle, held by the New Castle Henry County Public Library. I’m figuring, I’m going to have handouts with information on starting a blog, as well as business cards. I’m also looking into my budget, to see if I can order buttons or stickers. What would YOU expect to see at a Geeking in Indiana table? Please, let me know!
- #FeedABlogger – Never required, but always appreciated! There are three ways you can financially help Geeking in Indiana: using the Amazon Affiliate Link when you are shopping on Amazon, donating using the Paypal link, or buying an item off the Amazon Wish List. Unless otherwise requested, all supporters that I can track (aka, those donating or shopping the wish list) will be listed on the Awesome Supporters page.
- The month of May has proven to be even busier than the months I was working in school!
- Do you like how the blog looks? If you ever look at the bottom of any of the pages, you can see this is in huge part to Spencer Sokol over at Studio 27 Indy, and Aric Harris of TikiKitchen Design. They are both great and talented individuals who help keep the blog running, and looking professional. If you’re looking for any sort of web work, I highly recommend either (or both!) of those gentlemen.
That’s all for this week! If you have anything to add, don’t be afraid to let me know!