Happy Tuesday, and Happy New Year, my friends! 2017 is upon us, for better or for worse. For the record, I’m going to try to make everything just a bit better for everyone this year. Not quite sure how, as of yet, but dang it, it’s going to happen! No matter what, though, we are going to make the best of 2017, and while we’re doing that, we’re going to watch out for each other, we’re going to support each other, and we’re going to have each other’s backs, right?
I hope so.
Now, every year, I start writing Tuesday Tidbits fresh, and try different things to see what works. One thing I’m doing is dropping the “Local Kickstarter” section on the blog. On a Twitter Poll, it seems that only 8% of the readers ever even used it, so I’m going to be taking the stuff I think is REALLY cool, and drop it down to the blog news section. So, over the course of 2017, Tuesday Tidbits should be a bit more manageable in scope and scale, and hopefully won’t be pushing 1,200 words like some have over the past few years.
Now, let’s take a look at events happening in January:
- January 7th: Open Gaming in Kokomo! In what they hope to be a weekly event, Comics Cubed in Kokomo is working with the Kokomo-Howard County Public Library to provide open gaming space! Check out the details on the event page!
- January 28th: Kokomo Collecti-Con! I know absolutely nothing about this event, other than it’s being held at the Paradigm Comics Cafe in Kokomo, from 12:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Check their event page for more info as they post it.
Looking ahead to February:
- February 1st – 5th: Winter Fantasy! Held at the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne, this is a yearly convention for role playing games, hosted by Baldman Games. Visit the website for more information!
- February 24th – 26th: Anime Crossroads! This yearly anime convention is held at the Wyndham on the west side of Indianapolis, and to my understanding, has been a fairly popular event! Get more information on their website!
- February 25th: NWI Comi-Con! I have heard nothing but good things about this show up in Schererville, at the Halls of St. George! Visit their website for more information, including their guest list!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: This is an example of what you will see under the #DailyGeeking hashtag that I’m using on Instagram this year (see below).
- Support the Blog: As always, the blog needs funds. One thing you can do, that doesn’t involve you throwing money at me, is use the banner at the top of the page if you’re shopping through Amazon. If you WOULD like to throw money at me, feel free to visit the Support the Blog link for more information on how to do that.
- Little Guardians Issue Zero: Lee Cherolis and Ed Cho are both local creators, and they have been working on Little Guardians as a webcomic and as self-published books for over five years. In this month’s Previews, they have their first issue, from Scout Comics, up for order! It’ll be in shops on March 29th, as long as you get it ordered! Remember: Smaller, independent books only flourish if you talk to your FLCS and put a book on your pull list! This is a book that you want to do this with, because A) It’s a lot of fun, B) You want to support local creators, and C) Lee and Ed are just FANTASTIC human beings who have worked their tuckus’ off on this!
- Indy PopCon 2017: Tickets are now available for Indy PopCon 2017! This is one of my favorite yearly events here in Indianapolis, and I really encourage people to check them out! Visit the link for info on tickets, and look them up on social media for guest announcements and convention news!
- 2017 Plans: You know what? I do have plans for the blog in 2017. I have ideas, I have things I want to do, but you know what? When they’re ready, I’ll let you know! Until then, I’m going to focus on new content every weekday, be it a blog post, podcast episode, or YouTube video.
- Instagram: This year, I’m going to start doing a #DailyGeeking picture on Instagram. It could be something foolish (the last two days have been my phone and the Geeking workstation desktops), it could be one of my props or costumes, it could be a collectible of mine, but it’s going to definitely be something that fits with the theme of the blog. Feel free to visit, follow, and do your own Daily Geeking.
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
That’s it for this week, as we ease into 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!