Happy Tuesday, my friends! I trust we all had a relaxing weekend, perhaps relaxing at home, binge watching The Defenders on Netflix? Perhaps you were able to hit the Ash Comic Show on Sunday? Or were you hanging out downtown with a metric sith-ton of gamers from Thursday through Sunday? Well, whatever you were doing, I hope it was fantastic!
Now, I know some people view Gen Con as the end of the local con season, but I think we all know that it’s never really over! Heck, this coming weekend, we have a Disney Meet Up, and a toy show! In September, we have four conventions that I’m aware of, and October, of course, has KokomoCon! Plus, though we aren’t there yet on the Tidbits, November is always host to Starbase Indy on Thanksgiving Weekend! So, there’s still plenty of Geeky things to do! Speaking of which, what’s on the calendar?
August still has fun to offer!
- August 26th: Indy Disney Meet! Are you a “DisNerd”? Do you dream of Dole Whips? Well, how about a little taste of Disney, right here in Indiana? Check out this event!
- August 26th: Star Wars vs. Star Trek Punk Rock Night Indy! Featuring The Yavin 4 (Indy), Landspeeder (Woodbridge, IL), Five Year Mission (Indy) and The Spockers (Frankfort, KY), the Melody Inn in Indianapolis will be Geeked out with rock! Click the link for more information!
- August 27th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great one-day show is returning to Bloomington! Packed full of toy dealers, comic dealers, and local artists, it’s well worth the trip down there, and the admission price!
Looking ahead to September!
- September 1st & 2nd: ISU-Con! Props to Avital for the tip on this. This is a free events, held in the ISU Arena Building. Take a look at the event page for more information!
- September 2nd: Doctor Who Comics Day at Aw Yeah Comics! Visit the comic shop owned and ran by a real Doctor and celebrate Doctor Who Comics Day! 10% off Doctor Who merchandise, and more! Check out their event page for details!
- September 8th – 10th: Tri-Con! This is a locally-ran pop culture convention down in Evansville that sounds like a good time! Someday, I’ll be able to visit, but sadly not this year. You should still go, though!
- September 8th – 10th: HorrorHound! This is a cool horror convention, with a strong Halloween focus (the holiday, not the movie). I attended a few years ago, and while horror isn’t my scene, it was a good time.
- September 15th – 17th: RamenCon! Anime convention up in South Bend! I don’t normally catch wind of a lot of events in that area, so if you’re up there, check it out!
October will be here sooner than you think!
- October 6th: Shocktober in Irvington! Join the Obsessive Viewer podcast as they bring local short horror films back to the Irving Theater in Irvington! There will be short films, interviews with the film’s creators, as well as door prizes for attendees! Tickets are now on sale, and will increase in price after Labor Day Weekend, so jump on it now! Check the link for the details!
- October 6th: The Shake Ups & Frank Dean Celebrate the Beatles! If short horror films aren’t your thing, then might I recommend this cool show with The Shake Ups? They put on a great show, and they do fantastic Beatles covers! If I hadn’t committed to Shocktober, this is where I’d be!
- October 14th: KokomoCon! KokomoCon is back! This groovy show, hosted by Comics Cubed, is a relaxing, fun, one day event up in Kokomo, that is on my “must hit” list every year!
- October 28th: Doctoberfest! Back for the second year! Doctor Who and Halloween collide at Who North America in Camby, with local crafts people, artists, a pumpkin carving contest, and a Doctor Who costume contest! Shop their selection of Doctor Who merchandise, or visit the vendors! Rachel from The Five-ish Fangirls and I are looking to have a table again, this year!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- This Week’s Photo: The fez has been part of the Geek in all of his appearances for the last few years. It’s time to make sure the original doesn’t wear out, with the new Gen Con 50 fez from Fez-o-Rama! Not pictured: Vent upgrade to the original fez! WOO HOO!
- Send Jimmy to the Clown Motel: All the details are either on the Geeking in Indiana FB page, or at the link, but long story short: Jimmy is a buddy of mine in Southern California, who’s terrified of clowns. He took a bet that if they could raise $1K for Ronald McDonald House out there, he’d stay at the Clown Motel in Nevada. Not local, but still a good cause, so I’m pushing it for them, because that’s what friends do!
- Damien and the Good Place to Die: This is a GoFundMe, to help local writer Zachary Kline and local illustrator (and occasional blog contributor) Samantha Kyle get some copies of their book printed! Take a look, and throw some money at them!
- Shop: If you look to the right hand side, there is a “Shop” link for the blog. Right now, it’s just fidget spinners and pins. I’m still working on getting discount codes, and other merchandise, up and good to go. Give it a try, if you’d like, but please, be patient! I’m still testing it!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good.
- Support the Blog: So far, I have podcast hosting, Dropbox, and Adobe Creative Cloud (student subscription, I’m not THAT rich!) covered, thanks to friendly awesome supporters! However, I could still use help, to make sure I have enough for domain name hosting, equipment improvements, and convention tables!
That’s it for this week, as we roll our way through 2017! I’ll see you all tomorrow!