Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute animal pictures!
I hope everybody had a fantastic Gen Con weekend! Lizz and I will have both of our follow-up posts later this week, but I can tell you right now that it was not the most eventful Gen Con the blog has ever had. To be honest, most of the convention was spent figuring out how to get from one location to another via elevators, minimal crowds, skyways, and trying not to physically cross a street. I swear, you don’t pay attention to how often you are taking stairs or escalators until you’re pushing, or in, a wheelchair. Other than that, we hit some interesting panels and seminars, saw a LOT of good friends, met some online friends, ate good food, picked up a couple party games, and are now exhausted. I just hope we were able to put on a good enough showing for them that we can get press passes next year!
However, for now, we need to move on to the calendar! So, what’s going on?
First, August is here! What’s going on?
- August 18th: Fort Wayne Comic Book Convention! One day show at a Comfort Suites in Fort Wayne. Check the link for more information!
- August 24th – 26th: Indy Fur Con! This year’s theme is “Canadian Invasion”, they’re raising money for the Southside Animal Shelter, and EARPS will be in attendance! Get more information for this furry con at their website!
- August 24th – 26th: Horrorhound Weekend! Moving up a few weeks, and across town to the JW Marriott in Indianapolis, Horrorhound Weekend returns with guests, Maskfest, and more!
- August 25th: The Shake Ups Legendary Defenders Concert at Comic Carnival! Hey! It’s a Shake Ups show! Sadly, we’ll be heading down to Bloomington for ITCE, but you can be there for us, right?
- August 25th: Indy Disney Meet! Disney fans, rejoice! Here’s a meet-up of like-minded folks, ready to Geek out on Disney stuff! This has been growing, year after year, and I’ve heard good things about it! Check it out!
- August 25th: Expecto Festo! Held at the original Books & Brews, this event will feature Harry Potter trivia and bingo, a special menu, beer releases, and special drinks for kids. It’s a ticketed event, so check the link for details!
- August 26th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! This great single day toy show is back in Bloomington! With vendors, artist alley, contests for costumes and custom figures, and now with a podcaster alley! Needless to say, I will be there, in that alley! Click the link for more information!
September is right around the corner! What’s happening then?
- September 6th: KJ’s Cancer Sucks Party: A Kinda Nerdy Wish! KJ, from 107.9 The Mix, is a friend of the blog, and she runs the Kinda Nerdy News Podcast! She also does a lot of work with Make a Wish! This party is going to help Edward, and 8-year-old who wants to meet Goofy at Disney! Take a look at the event, see if you can go, or help, please!
- September 8th and 9th: Hall of Heroes Comic Con! The Hall of Heroes in Elkhart is back for their second convention! I heard good things about last year’s unique show, so here’s hoping their sophomore year is just as strong!
- September 21st – 23rd: RamenCon! An anime show happening in South Bend, that’s been going on for a few years now! Check the link for more info!
- September 21st – 23rd: Supernatural: The Giving Back Tour! Creation Entertainment is bringing actors from Supernatural here to Indy! Take a look at the link for more info!
- September 22nd: Fiberglass Freaks Comic Con! It’s the 15th anniversary of Fiberglass Freaks, the Hoosier-based company that makes the licensed 1966 Batmobile replicas, and they’re throwing the party! Held at the Logansport/Cass County Airport, there are going to be Batmobiles, a Bat Cycle, even the Batcopter used in the ’66 movie and series! In addition, there will be vendors, and all the other trappings you enjoy from a con!
- September 22nd & 23rd: Fantasticon! Returning to Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Center, this show has been in town before, but as of this writing, their website and their FB page is pretty devoid of information concerning guests. Keep an eye open!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: It’s London, the Elusive Cat! Believe it or not, this is the Geek Cat’s sister, who is normally hiding under the couch, or under the sewing table, so I don’t chase her down for pictures. She was out in the open, so I pulled out the phone! You can tell how thrilled she was.
- Indy Star’s “Best Things Indianapolis” Voting! Whelp. I’m begging for votes again! This time, it’s the Indy Star doing their “Best Things” voting. Now, through August 15th, you can vote in a ton of categories, and choose from a ton of different nominees. I’m not doing a huge list, here, but I have four votes I’d love if you could all do, daily. These are all under “Things you do and see” on the voting page, and this will be the order if you’re scrolling down that list.
- Best local band or musical artist in Indianapolis: The Shake Ups
- Best local podcast in the Indianapolis area: Cult Cinema Cavalcade
- Best local social media personality in Indianapolis: Geeking in Indiana
- Best convention in Indianapolis: Indy PopCon
- Shocktober in Irvington 2018! It’s not on the calendar yet, but I wanted to get word out now! Shocktober in Irvington is a one-night showing of short horror films, many of which are made locally. Hosted by the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, this event not only features movies, but interviews with the film makers, and horror-themed giveaways. It’s held at Playhouse Productions in Irvington, and the proceeds from the event go towards the Irvington Historical Society. So, mark your calendars for October 12th, and get your tickets at the link above. In addition, use the code “GEEKING” at check out to save a dollar off your ticket! I’ll see you there!
- Feed a Blogger! I really was going to try to avoid this, but since Lizz hasn’t been able to work for a week and a half, and I’ve been working shortened hours, we are already starting to hurt, financially. On top of that, the bills are starting to come in for medical costs, and they still haven’t made any noticeable progress on arresting the woman who ran into us. So, if you could do me a favor, and take a look at one of the ways you could support the blog, in this case helping us out, I would greatly appreciate it. Buy merch, make a donation, whatever you’d like to do would be greatly appreciated.
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!