Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute animal pictures!
I know, I’ve been trying to just do these every other week, but we’ve got some stuff that came up I wanted to add on here! If you scroll down to the bottom, after the October event listings, you’ll find the link to this year’s Nuvo “Best of Indy” nominations. There are a lot of friends of the blog on there, along with some other people who I just enjoy, and want to see come out ahead. I’m also on there, again, but I just don’t have the energy to campaign this year, so do with that what you will, or look at my recommendation below. Instead, I’m throwing my energy into completing my Resistance Pilot costume, thanks to help from my friends in Star Wars Indiana, and wondering how long it takes for cracked ribs to heal.
Now, we do like to get out of the house every now and then, so lets see what we can do when we pile into the Cardis and get out of our neighborhood!
September is here! What’s happening?
- September 20th: Franken-fiction! This is a “group flash-fiction workshop” held at Metazoa Brewing Company in Indy. Hosted by the Speculative Fiction Guild and the Indianapolis Public Library, the attendees will work with local author Matthew Barron to create a story! 21 and older only.
- September 21st – 23rd: RamenCon! An anime show happening in South Bend, that’s been going on for a few years now! Check the link for more info!
- September 21st – 23rd: Supernatural: The Giving Back Tour! Creation Entertainment is bringing actors from Supernatural here to Indy! Take a look at the link for more info!
- September 22nd: Fiberglass Freaks Comic Con! It’s the 15th anniversary of Fiberglass Freaks, the Hoosier-based company that makes the licensed 1966 Batmobile replicas, and they’re throwing the party! Held at the Logansport/Cass County Airport, there are going to be Batmobiles, a Bat Cycle, even the Batcopter used in the ’66 movie and series! In addition, there will be vendors, and all the other trappings you enjoy from a con!
- September 22nd: Comic Carnival ‘Zine Jam! This is the third issue, ran by Gluestick and hosted by Comic Carnival in Indianapolis. This issue’s theme is “Fantasy”, so come and have fun at Comic Carnival!
- September 22nd & 23rd: Fantasticon! Returning to Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Center, this show has been in town before, but as of this writing, their website and their FB page is pretty devoid of information concerning guests. Keep an eye open!
- September 29th: Book Signing & Author Reading at the Art Bank! Meet local authors, check out art, all in a historic building on Mass Ave. in Indy! Check the link for details, and the authors who will be in attendance.
October is also a huge month for Geeks, capping off with Halloween! However, there’s more than that happening!
- October 5th: Flashback Friday Beatles Celebration! Hosted at Radio Radio in Fountain Square, this show will feature friends of the blog The Shake Ups doing their Beatles set! Personal note: I’m psyched because, the last couple of years, this has been on the same night as Shocktober, so I’ll be able to attend this year!
- October 6th: Sci-Fi Central! Held at Science Central in Fort Wayne, this is a one-day show that features many fandoms, vendors, and a costume contest! Check the link for more info!
- October 6th & 7th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Jousting! Music! Food! Swords! Need I say more? Held at
Deer Creek Verizon Wireless KlipschRuoff Home Mortgage Music Center near Noblesville! Check the website for more details!
- October 12th: Shocktober in Irvington! Shocktober in Irvington is a one-night showing of short horror films, many of which are made locally. Hosted by the Obsessive Viewer Podcast, this event not only features movies, but interviews with the film makers, and horror-themed giveaways. It’s held at Playhouse Productions in Irvington, and the proceeds from the event go towards the Irvington Historical Society. So, mark your calendars for October 12th, and get your tickets at the link above. In addition, use the code “GEEKING” at check out to save a dollar off your ticket! I’ll see you there!
- October 12th – 14th: Amaicon! It’s a local, fan-run anime con, held at the Wyndham West in Indianapolis! Check their website for more information!
- October 13th: Kokomo-Con! This is a groovy, one-day, fan-run show up in Kokomo! Large dealer space, a gaming area, costume contest, and a good amount of free parking! While there, make sure you visit Geek Street, located downtown!
- October 14th: Ash Toy and Comic Show! This long-running toy and comic show will be at the Rodeway Inn off 21st in Indianapolis!
- October 20th: South Bend Monster Comic Con! In South Bend, at the Century Center, this looks to be a one-day show featuring all sorts of pop culture. Take a look at the website for more info! Tip of the fez to Chris M. for the heads up on this!
- October 26th: Halloween Tribute Bash! Held at the Melody Inn in Indianapolis, this line up of tributes will include the music of Willie Nelson, New Order, Weezer, and it has friends of the blog The Shake Ups covering THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!! 21 and older only.
- October 26th – 28th: FortCON 2018! Billed as “Northeast Indiana’s largest bring your own computer (BYOC) LAN party and convention”! Held at the Grand Wayne Center in downtown Fort Wayne, check the link for more info! Tip of the fez to Nate Parker for the heads up on this!
- October 27th: Doctoberfest! Held at Who North America in Camby, this is a Doctor Who-themed celebration featuring vendors selling Doctor Who merchandise, a Doctor Who pumpkin carving contest, a Doctor Who costume contest, and of course, the full facilities of Who North America open, including their store, museum, and viewing area!
- October 27th: The Shake Ups at Halloween Comic Fest! The Saturday before Halloween has become a mini-Free Comic Book Day, and Comic Carnival in Indianapolis is giving away Comic Fest-branded comic books, candy for costumers, and they’re hosting the local band, The Shake Ups! I really like The Shake Ups, folks.
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: The Geek Cat is alive and well, and shedding. The pup was nowhere to be seen, so he spent some time with me last week, on the couch.
- Nuvo’s Best of Indy Voting! Running now through Midnight on September 30th, Nuvo’s “Best of Indy” is, let’s face it, an Internet Popularity Contest, and I want all of my friends to be popular! So, here are the categories I’m voting in, and who I’m voting for, that I would appreciate folks voting for as well! You can vote daily through the end date!
- Arts + Entertainment
- Best local visual artist – David Lee Pancake
- Best local performing arts group – Angel Burlesque
- Best local burlesque troupe – Angel Burlesque
- Best local author – Hans Cummings
- Best local film festival – Shocktober in Irvington
- Music + Nightlife
- Best overall artist/band – The Shake Ups
- Best local pop – The Shake Ups
- Best local punk/hardcore – Yavin 4
- News + Views
- Best local Twitter feed – I mean, I’m on here, but I’m going for @bgkahuna. Go as you will.
- Best local Instagram account – Angel Burlesque
- Best local amateur or collegiate sports team – Indy Lightsaber Academy
- Shops + Services
- Due to the nature of the blog, I’m not putting up any recommendations for shops. Just remember: Support local, and get the vote in for your favorite.
- Arts + Entertainment
- Appearances! With 2048 wrapping up, Lizz and I are probably going to be laying pretty low for the remainder of the year. We need to get bills in check, work on some projects around the Geek Cave, and focus more on where we want Geeking to go over the rest of the year, and moving forward to 2019. I can tell you I will be at Shocktober in Irvington (see above for info), I’ve put a table application in for DoctoberFest to once again share a spot with Rachel of The Five-ish Fangirls, and at KokomoCon with Star Wars Indiana in my new costume, but otherwise? Based on a conversation at the Starbase Indy shindig last Saturday, Geeking might have a presence there, but we’re mainly sticking around the house, writing, fixing things, learning how to sew, and learning the 3D Printer.
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Are you looking to help with medical bills? This link gets to to every place that you can help the blog, like buying through Amazon, buying Geeking merch, or even donating!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!