Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute animal pictures!
Wow, a lot can happen in a week! First, the Teen Writing Workshop on the 20th has been cancelled, due to low registration numbers, so it’s been removed from the event listings. Next, due to “lower than expected ticket volume”, I have been released by my job. Okay, fired. Either way, I have no current income, and a powerful need to provide insurance and support for the Geekling. As I’m looking for a new job, I’ll be firing the blog back up since, well, the main reason I’ve been so lax is because of the hours my former job had me working! If you would like to throw in any assistance during this time, where we are STILL dealing with medical expenses, and a car payment, then please, take a look at the “Feed a Blogger” section at the bottom of the post, or over there on the sidebar (desktop), or down there under the post (mobile).
Buy my stuff. Please.
Let’s move on to what’s happening for Hoosier Geeks!
October is a huge month for Geeks, capping off with Halloween!
- October 20th: South Bend Monster Comic Con! In South Bend, at the Century Center, this looks to be a one-day show featuring all sorts of pop culture. Take a look at the website for more info! Tip of the fez to Chris M. for the heads up on this!
- October 26th: Halloween Tribute Bash! Held at the Melody Inn in Indianapolis, this line up of tributes will include the music of Willie Nelson, New Order, Weezer, and it has friends of the blog The Shake Ups covering THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!! 21 and older only.
- October 26th – 28th: FortCON 2018! Billed as “Northeast Indiana’s largest bring your own computer (BYOC) LAN party and convention”! Held at the Grand Wayne Center in downtown Fort Wayne, check the link for more info! Tip of the fez to Nate Parker for the heads up on this!
- October 27th: Doctoberfest! Held at Who North America in Camby, this is a Doctor Who-themed celebration featuring vendors selling Doctor Who merchandise, a Doctor Who pumpkin carving contest, a Doctor Who costume contest, and of course, the full facilities of Who North America open, including their store, museum, and viewing area!
- October 27th: The Shake Ups at Halloween Comic Fest! The Saturday before Halloween has become a mini-Free Comic Book Day, and Comic Carnival in Indianapolis is giving away Comic Fest-branded comic books, candy for costumers, and they’re hosting the local band, The Shake Ups! I really like The Shake Ups, folks.
November is creeping up, as well, with a a bit of things happening outside of Thanksgiving!
- November 4th: Thanks4Giving 2018! Hosted by Who’s Yer Gamers, this is a one day gaming event at the Indianapolis Wyndham West! Running from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, the game library will be open for the small cost of either $10, or at least two non-perishable food items. All food and donations will go to Gleaner’s Food Bank!
- November 4th: Ft. Wayne Hobby & Collectibles Show! The last show until March 2019! Located in Fort Wayne, the show has vendors with toys, collectibles, video games, and more. Next door, on the same day, is a vinyl record show, so there’s even more cool stuff!
- November 10th: So IN Fundraising Gaming Con! Hey, it’s an event in French Lick! The Springs Valley Community Schools Games Club is hosting a fundraiser for the local teen center, Goody B’s, from 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM, with open gaming, game demos, and tournaments! Free admission, but donations are appreciated and encouraged! Take a look at the event page for more info! Tip of the fez to Chad Goldman for the heads up on this!
- November 16th: Geek Rock Night! Held at the Melody Inn in Indianapolis, this show is a CD Release by local group Robots and Magic Powers, and will also feature New York-based The Fantastic Plastics, and friends of the blog The Shake Ups! Remember: The Melody Inn is a 21 and older venue, and cash is required!
- November 23rd – 25th: Starbase Indy! You spent Thanksgiving dodging your family’s political discussions, so reward yourself with a weekend hanging with your Geek family! Starbase Indy is a great mix of science fiction and STEM, with a guest list to match. Check out the website for all the details, and go ahead and reserve a room, as well, so you can enjoy the room parties after hours!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: Sweet, sleepy Geek Dog, perched on blankets and a pillow.
- Kickstarters! These are items that I don’t necessarily endorse, but think my readers might be interested in!
- Terminal #3 & #4! This pulp anthology series has people from all over working on it, and the rewards include work from local Troy Brownfield! Take a look, and support it before it ends on November 2nd!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Are you looking to help with medical bills? Do you want to help me pay rent? This link gets to to every place that you can help the blog, like buying through Amazon, buying Geeking merch, or even donating!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!