Happy Tuesday, my friends! We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, hey, cute pet pics!
This past weekend, we recorded a special episode of the Social Sci-Fi Podcast, which will be up on this coming Friday, the 22nd. We also got approved for our PopCon Indy press badges, so while we won’t have a table this year, we WILL have a presence. In fact, I’ve already put in for the Awkward Twitter Mingle, and the podcasts are pondering whether or not we want to apply to the Podcast Stage this year. However, we still have a few more weeks to make that decision, and a few more MONTHS before that con happens.
This week on Tuesday Tidbits, I’ve got a couple of new events added for the end of March and in April, and I’m going ahead and throwing May events in, as well. May always starts out busy, with both Free Comic Book Day on the first Saturday, and Star Wars events happening on May 4th. This year is double packed, with May the 4th falling on the first Saturday of the month. In addition, we have the race happening towards the end of the month, along with the Head Geek’s birthday on the 23rd. One of the events added this week is the Midwest RepRap Festival, up in Goshen. This will probably be one of my first events of 2019, since I have obligations the same weekend as Who’s Yer Con.
Speaking of which, what else is happening for Hoosier Geeks?
There are still things happening in March!
- March 22nd – 24th: EvilleCon! This fan-run anime convention is returning to the Holiday Inn at the Evansville airport for another year! Check out their website for information about the con, including their guests!
- March 22nd – 24th: Who’s Yer Con! This fantastic, locally-ran gaming convention is back for another year! General admission is free, though if you have the means, I strongly encourage going to the site, pre-registering, and ponying up the cash for the paid admission. Not only are you supporting a fun local con that tries to open up the hobby of gaming to everyone, you’re also able to get a bag filled with games, and a t-shirt, while supplies last!
- March 24th: Ft. Wayne Hobby & Record Show! This one day hobby show up in Fort Wayne looks to be a good place to go hunting for collectibles, to fill those holes in your collections! Take a look at their Facebook page for more information!
- March 29th – 31st: Midwest RepRap Festival! I know nothing more than this is supposed to be a big deal in the 3D Printing community, which I’ve been curious about. It looks like it’ll be well worth the approximately three hour drive from Indianapolis to Goshen, so I’ll be heading up!
- March 30th: Paul Storrie Viking Queen Book Signing! Held at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie, Paul Storrie will be signing his new series, Viking Queen, from Source Point Press from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM! Check it out, pick up some books, and visit one of my favorite comic shops!
- March 31st: Star Trek Theology! This program, titled Star Trek Theology: Humanism and Atheism, is hosted by the Center for Inquiry in Indianapolis. Visit the Facebook event listing for more details about this program!
After March comes April, and even more events!
- April 6th: Oddities & Curiosities Expo! Are you into things like taxidermy, skeletons, and just the general strange and unusual? Check out this event, happening at the State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis.
- April 7th: Foam Armor Building Workshop! Held up in Lafayette, this is a “how-to” workshop, focusing on EVA foam construction, hosted by the awesome craftsmen of Wulfgar Weapons & Props. There are limited spaces available, and it is not free, so head on over to the Facebook Event Page to see all of the prices, and see if space is still available!
- April 8th: Shazam Screening with Kinda Nerdy Night Out! KJ from Kinda Nerdy and PopCon Indy will be hosting a screening of the newest DC film, Shazam, at Studio Movie Grill in Indianapolis! Check the link for more details!
- April 14th: Ash Comic & Toy Show! Back at the Rodeway Inn in Indianapolis, this long-running show has a ton of long boxes to dig through, and cool toys to check out! Check out the link for more info!
- April 25th: Mick Foley @ The Toy Pit! Our friends over at The Toy Pit are hosting a visit by wrestler Mick Foley! Information, including photo op and autograph prices, can be found on the Facebook Event Page!
- April 26th – 29th: RollPlus Con! It’s a game con/sleepover down in Trafalgar! A place to sleep, breakfast, and dinner are included for this weekend of games and community! Check it out, there’s just a few slots left for this fun weekend!
- April 27th & 28th: LaffyCon! Back in Lafayette for the 5th year, LaffyCon is a pop culture convention held at the Market Square Shopping Center! Take a look at the link for more information!
Let’s look ahead to May!
- May 4th: Star Wars Day! There are going to be so many events, including events at the Children’s Museum, with the Indianapolis Indians, and Naptown Roller Derby! Watch the blog for a post laying it all out that week!
- May 4th: Free Comic Book Day! This is a huge day for your friendly local comic shop! Keep an eye on the blog the week of the 4th for information on what some of the different shops will be doing!
- May 18th: South Bend Comic Convention! This is a one day show held at the Comfort Suites. Check out the Facebook event page for more information!
- May 23rd: The Head Geek’s Birthday! I haven’t done this in a few years, but that link is to my Amazon Wish List. I mean, why not?
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: Zoey, the Geek Dog, is very attentive. She thinks I have a treat behind the camera. Don’t worry, she got treats and scritches for being a good dog!
- Team Geeking Family of Podcasts: I officially have three different podcasts out. Now, let’s maintain that momentum.
- Where to find Indiana Geeking: I am fairly certain you know where to find me on social media, but there’s a couple other websites I use fairly regularly, where you might want to keep an eye on me!
- Letterboxd – I know I’ve mentioned this on more than one occasion, but just in case you weren’t aware, here it is! Letterboxd is where I keep track of all the movies I watch, be it on television, Netflix, or at the theater. I have a goal for this year on there, and it’s just a fun site for those who enjoy movies!
- Goodreads – Update on my reading progress: I’m reading a LOT of graphic novels on my Kindle, and those get added to my list.
- Twitch – After doing it for a week, I think I’m going to keep it up. Once or twice a week, I’m going to stream my process on editing the Team Geeking Family of Podcasts. Now, in all honesty, this in and of itself is pretty boring. I’ve got a simple setup, with my webcam showing in one corner, and Audacity showing in the rest of the screen. Everything is silenced, so there are no spoilers for upcoming episodes. However, I’ve had a few people pop in and ask questions, and it looks like a great way to share the little bit I’ve learned about the process. So, if this interests you, subscribe to my stream, and keep an eye on Twitter for when I’ll be recording!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Did you see the post talking about the 2019 Blog Budget? Would you like to help us reach those goals? Here’s how you can!
- Ko-Fi (Immediate) – This enables you to “buy me a Raktajino” and the money immediately goes to PayPal. This can help with immediate bills!
- Patreon (Long-Term) – This helps long-term, month-to-month. I can not stress this enough, my friends! If people just gave a dollar a month, each, that goes so bloody far for a creator like myself! So please, if you can, throw in here! Bonus: Patrons get extra things, like free sticker offers, weekly blog updates, discounts in the Geeking store, and more!
- Amazon Affiliate (Long Term) – If you’re shopping through Amazon, then please, feel free to use the Affiliate link! The money isn’t immediate, because I have to hit a “cash out” amount, and then it takes a month or two for the money to become available, to make sure they aren’t paying out and then someone returns a high-end item, but it helps boost the bank account!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!