Happy Tuesday, my friends!
July has begun, as has the summer temperatures! It’s time to start looking at things happening inside, in the air conditions, at least as far as I’m concerned! Luckily, we have a lot of that going on, with both InConJunction and Days of the Dead this weekend, and DralaCon up in Fort Wayne next weekend! Plus, there’s the release of Spider-Man: Far From Home this weekend, with the requisite screening of it with the Kinda Nerdy Girls Podcast and PopCon next Monday, inside the air conditioned Studio Movie Grill!
Make sure you read all the way down to the blog news section, for info on Extra Life, Geek Building, and blog fundraising!
Anyway, what’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
July is here!
- July 5th – 7th: InConJunction! This long-running fantasy and science-fiction convention is back for another year! Hosted by the local fan group Circle of Janus, they’ll have some cool guests this year!
- July 5th – 7th: Days of the Dead! This horror and sci-fi show is back! Check out their website for this year’s guest list, featuring horror, science fiction, and wrestling personalities!
- July 8th: Spider-Man: Far From Home Screening! The Kinda Nerdy Girls Podcast and PopCon are joining forces once more to get a gaggle of Geeks together to watch a movie! This time around, it’s the lastest MCU flick, and as always, it’s at Studio Movie Grill! Visit the FB Event Link for more info, and a chance to win tickets!
- July 12th – 14th: DralaCon! This is a new gaming convention up in Fort Wayne! Check out their website for more information!
- July 18th: Smithing with Jon Nagel! Hosted by the Indianapolis Art Center, this event is a demo and Q&A with blacksmith Jon Nagel!
- July 20th: TeenCon! This one day show at the New Castle Henry County Public Library has a great assortment of authors and vendors, a costume contest, and trivia! I’ll be going for a bit this year, but I won’t be tabling.
August is next on the list!
- August 1st – 4th: Gen Con! It’s the Best Four Days in Gaming (trademarked)! Taking over the entire downtown area of Indianapolis, if you want to play it, it’s probably there.
- August 3rd: Harry Potter Day! The Indianapolis Art Center will be hosting a Harry Potter-themed community day, including a costume contest, trivia, and a bunch of other activities! A great option for a Geek who doesn’t want to deal with the crowds around the Convention Center!
- August 16th: Monster Mash at the Melody Inn! Head over to the Melody Inn for an evening of monster-themed music and burlesque, with The Shake Ups, Benny and the No-Goods, Team Void, and Nerdlesque! Ages 21 and over.
- August 17th & 18th: BatCon! Fiberglass Freaks, makers of the licensed 1966 Batmobiles, are hosting another Batparty at the Logansport/Cass County Airport!
- August 23rd – 25th: Indy Fur Con! Indy’s own Furry Con is back for their tenth year, with a Hawaiian theme, and once again raising money for the Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary!
- August 30th – September 1st: Indiana Comic Convention.
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: I was able to grab a picture of London, the Elusive Cat! It’s taken close to a year, but she’s finally starting to be out in the open around the Geek Pup, and the pup’s leaving her alone.
- Geek Building! As I’m working on improving my building skills, finishing projects, and starting to learn how to use the equipment I have, I decided to expand my online presence even farther, by having a Facebook Page, an Instagram, and a Tumblr dedicated to what I’m doing. This is where I’ll be cross-posting my blog posts, plus posting pictures and bits about what I’m doing that really aren’t big enough for an entire blog post. So, feel free to let me fill your feeds at the following locations:
- Extra Life! For many years now, I’ve helped promote friends doing Extra Life, the 24 hours of gaming charity for (usually) Riley Children’s Hospital. This year, since I work with a bunch of Gamers, my co-workers and I are doing it ourselves! We’re still planning our games, but I can guarantee we will be streaming. So, if you want to donate, and help kids, follow the link at the beginning of this bullet point to help us out!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Do you want to help with accordion lessons? Here’s how you can!
- Ko-Fi (Immediate) – This enables you to “buy me a Raktajino” and the money immediately goes to PayPal. This will go into the blog’s account, and help me get a replacement monitor, because mine is starting to die.
- Patreon (Long-Term) – This helps long-term, month-to-month. I can not stress this enough, my friends! If people just gave a dollar a month, each, that goes so bloody far for a creator like myself! So please, if you can, throw in here! Bonus: Patrons get extra things, like free sticker offers, weekly blog updates, discounts in the Geeking store, and more!
- “Awesome Supporters” Tier – $1 a month – Gets you a shout out on the end of every Indiana Geeking Podcast (provided you’re an active supporter at time of the recording), addition to the Gallery of Gallant Geeking Givers with your name linking to a SFW, non-political URL that you’d like to promote, and a 10% off discount code for the Geeking Shop, as long as I’m still selling merch (not to be confused with the TeePublic shop). It also just lets me know people care about what I’m doing.
- “Polka Party” Tier – $5 a month – This was recently added, to help pay for my accordion lessons! Accordion lessons are $25 a week, up to $100 a month. Supporters at this level will help me pay for this, throwing more of my personal funds towards paying down my medical debt. In return, they get all regular Patreon benefits, plus a special “Polka Power” section on the Gallery of Gallant Geeking Givers. Finally, they also get monthly “update” videos, showing what I’m learning in the lessons I’m receiving at Arthur’s Music Store in Fountain Square.
- “Influencers” Tier – $10 a month – After your first successful month as a Patron (read: you’ve paid for your first month), you will get everything listed on the “Awesome Supporters” tier, and you can also recommend one piece of media, be it a book, a movie, or music, that you’d like me to consume, and then write about on the blog, every month. Certain restrictions apply, please refer to the Patreon page for details.
- Amazon Affiliate (Long Term) – If you’re shopping through Amazon, then please, feel free to use the Affiliate link! The money isn’t immediate, because I have to hit a “cash out” amount, and then it takes a month or two for the money to become available, to make sure they aren’t paying out and then someone returns a high-end item, but it helps boost the bank account!
- Geeking Shop – It turns out that while I’m a decent blogger and podcaster, I’m not great at the merch. I have a lot of stuff laying around the Geek Cave Office, taking up space, and I’m starting to drop prices to get it gone. Take a look! Note: I’m still going to be donating $2 from each Geek Dog and Geek Cat pin to EARPS until they’re gone.
- Geeking Wishlist – This is an Amazon list of tools I could use for blog stuff. Includes podcasting equipment, writing tools, and items for 3D Printing.
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!