We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, the occasional locally sourced Twitter avatar commission!
We are solidly into July now, with the 4th behind us, along with the premier of Spider-Man: Far From Home and Stranger Things 3. Here at the Geek Cave, we’ve been busy wrapping up the room swap that I’ve talked about the last few weeks. I’m back to working at my desk in an office, instead of at the dining room table, which makes me very happy. This week, I’m busting my hump to get some stuff done, because I’ll be out of the Geek Cave office on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Unfortunately, it won’t be because of the first-year con up in Fort Wayne, DralaCon, but instead, it’ll be to hit a Cubs game with my dad and brother, then bring the Geek Dog and Geek Pup to an Indy Pit Crew event for some socialization and a check-up, so I won’t really be back in the “office” until Sunday.
Now, let’s take a look at what’s on deck for Hoosier Geeks! Make sure you read all the way down to the blog news section, for info on Extra Life, Geek Building, and blog fundraising!
Anyway, what’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
July is here!
- July 12th – 14th: DralaCon! This is a new gaming convention up in Fort Wayne! Check out their website for more information!
- July 17th: Five Year Mission – Summer Songteller Series! As part of the Hancock County Public Library’s Summer Songtellers Series, Five Year Mission will be heading to Greenfield to put on a free show! Seating is limited, so check the FB link for details!
- July 18th: Smithing with Jon Nagel! Hosted by the Indianapolis Art Center, this event is a demo and Q&A with blacksmith Jon Nagel!
- July 20th: TeenCon! This one day show at the New Castle Henry County Public Library has a great assortment of authors and vendors, a costume contest, and trivia! I’ll be going for a bit this year, but I won’t be tabling.
- July 21st: PokemonGo Indy Community Day! With multiple locations around Indianapolis and the surrounding area, this is a great way to connect with your fellow PoGo players! Check out the FB event for more details!
August is next on the list!
- August 1st – 4th: Gen Con! It’s the Best Four Days in Gaming (trademarked)! Taking over the entire downtown area of Indianapolis, if you want to play it, it’s probably there.
- August 3rd: Harry Potter Day! The Indianapolis Art Center will be hosting a Harry Potter-themed community day, including a costume contest, trivia, and a bunch of other activities! A great option for a Geek who doesn’t want to deal with the crowds around the Convention Center!
- August 16th: Monster Mash at the Melody Inn! Head over to the Melody Inn for an evening of monster-themed music and burlesque, with The Shake Ups, Benny and the No-Goods, Team Void, and Nerdlesque! Ages 21 and over.
- August 17th & 18th: BatCon! Fiberglass Freaks, makers of the licensed 1966 Batmobiles, are hosting another Batparty at the Logansport/Cass County Airport!
- August 23rd – 25th: Indy Fur Con! Indy’s own Furry Con is back for their tenth year, with a Hawaiian theme, and once again raising money for the Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary!
- August 30th – September 1st: Indiana Comic Convention.
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: It’s time for another commissioned Twitter avatar! This month, it’s from Twitter user xcalli0pe! They are an Indianapolis-based artist, who does commissions for all types of art. I just asked for a simple piece that would evoke a D&D bard, using some of my selfies, and this is what was delivered! If you would like one of your own, contact them through their Twitter page, linked above!
- Geek Building! As I’m working on improving my building skills, finishing projects, and starting to learn how to use the equipment I have, I decided to expand my online presence even farther, by having a Facebook Page, an Instagram, and a Tumblr dedicated to what I’m doing. This is where I’ll be cross-posting my blog posts, plus posting pictures and bits about what I’m doing that really aren’t big enough for an entire blog post. So, feel free to let me fill your feeds at the following locations:
- Facebook Page – Pictures from Instagram post here, but it’s also where I post my updates that are too short for a blog post. Things like the issues I have with the printer, wins I have with the printer, who’s helping me out, stuff like that.
- Instagram – Did I build something cool? Did something backfire? Did I get a picture of it? This is where it’s going.
- Tumblr – Just because I want another social media account to ignore. Seriously, though, this is where the all of the blog posts, and Instagram photos, also reside.
- Extra Life! For many years now, I’ve helped promote friends doing Extra Life, the 24 hours of gaming charity for (usually) Riley Children’s Hospital. This year, since I work with a bunch of gamers, my co-workers and I are doing it ourselves! We’re still planning our games, but I can guarantee we will be streaming. So, if you want to donate, and help kids, follow the link at the beginning of this bullet point to help us out!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Do you want to help with accordion lessons? Here’s how you can!
- Ko-Fi (Immediate) – This enables you to “buy me a Raktajino” and the money immediately goes to PayPal. This will go into the blog’s account, and help me get a replacement monitor, because mine is starting to die.
- Patreon (Long-Term) – This helps long-term, month-to-month. I can not stress this enough, my friends! If people just gave a dollar a month, each, that goes so bloody far for a creator like myself! So please, if you can, throw in here! Bonus: Patrons get extra things, like free sticker offers, weekly blog updates, discounts in the Geeking store, and more!
- “Awesome Supporters” Tier – $1 a month – Gets you a shout out on the end of every Indiana Geeking Podcast (provided you’re an active supporter at time of the recording), addition to the Gallery of Gallant Geeking Givers with your name linking to a SFW, non-political URL that you’d like to promote, and a 10% off discount code for the Geeking Shop, as long as I’m still selling merch (not to be confused with the TeePublic shop). It also just lets me know people care about what I’m doing.
- “Polka Party” Tier – $5 a month – This was recently added, to help pay for my accordion lessons! Accordion lessons are $25 a week, up to $100 a month. Supporters at this level will help me pay for this, throwing more of my personal funds towards paying down my medical debt. In return, they get all regular Patreon benefits, plus a special “Polka Power” section on the Gallery of Gallant Geeking Givers. Finally, they also get monthly “update” videos, showing what I’m learning in the lessons I’m receiving at Arthur’s Music Store in Fountain Square.
- “Influencers” Tier – $10 a month – After your first successful month as a Patron (read: you’ve paid for your first month), you will get everything listed on the “Awesome Supporters” tier, and you can also recommend one piece of media, be it a book, a movie, or music, that you’d like me to consume, and then write about on the blog, every month. Certain restrictions apply, please refer to the Patreon page for details.
- Amazon Affiliate (Long Term) – If you’re shopping through Amazon, then please, feel free to use the Affiliate link! The money isn’t immediate, because I have to hit a “cash out” amount, and then it takes a month or two for the money to become available, to make sure they aren’t paying out and then someone returns a high-end item, but it helps boost the bank account!
- Geeking Shop – It turns out that while I’m a decent blogger and podcaster, I’m not great at the merch. I have a lot of stuff laying around the Geek Cave Office, taking up space, and I’m starting to drop prices to get it gone. Take a look! Note: I’m still going to be donating $2 from each Geek Dog and Geek Cat pin to EARPS until they’re gone.
- Geeking Wishlist – This is an Amazon list of tools I could use for blog stuff. Includes podcasting equipment, writing tools, and items for 3D Printing.
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Design. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Design! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!