We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, pictures of the Geek Pets!
We’ve wrapped up another full week here at the Geek Cave. We recorded three podcast episodes, I’ve learned how to replace a nozzle on a 3D Printer (that’s heated to 205 degrees Celsius), we did some major deep cleaning, and we just enjoyed a day, walking around Irvington, browsing shops and catching Pokemon. It’s been a decent week, here, as we look ahead to a busy few months!
When I was younger, convention season seemed to take a break from Labor Day through the following spring, with a quick exception for Starbase Indy on Thanksgiving Weekend. These days, though, it’s a year round thing! Just take a look below, at the insanely full months of September and October!
What’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
August is almost over!
- August 29th – 31st: Star Wars at the Athenaeum! The Athenaeum in Indianapolis will be hosting a screening of the original Star Wars trilogy over these three days, with one movie each night. Star Wars Indiana will be in attendance (at least, those not at DragonCon!), and there will be themed cocktails, food, and other fun stuff!
- August 30th – September 1st: Indiana Comic Convention.
Looking at September!
- September 5th: Eliot Rahal Signing! Eliot will be signing his books, including his newest Midnight Vista, at Aw Yeah Comics! in Muncie from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Make sure to grab the variant covers that are exclusive to Aw Yeah and Downtown Comics!
- September 6th – 8th: HorrorHound Weekend! They’ve grown! This year, check out HorrorHound at the Indianapolis Convention Center in downtown Indianapolis, for all of your horror, pop culture, and mask needs!
- September 7th and 8th: Hall of Heroes Comic Con! Hosted by the Hall of Heroes Museum, this is a cool pop culture show up in Elkhart!
- September 7th: Five Year Mission, Yavin 4, and Hot Rod Nebula at Radio Radio! Catch three great local bands over at Radio Radio in Fountain Square! Ages 21 and over.
- September 12th: ABC RPG Meet-up! The date for the next “Always Be Creating Role Playing Games” meet-up has been set! It will be held at the Books & Brews in Noblesville, in the Hamilton Town Center, from 6PM to 10PM. Do you create role playing games? Do you run a live-play podcast? Do you write about role playing games? RSVP at the Event Link, and I’ll see you there!
- September 14th: Indy Author Event 2019! Head over to the Indianapolis Marriott East to attend this event, featuring a mix of authors from around the world! Visit the website for more information, including how to get tickets, and the authors scheduled to be in attendance!
- September 20th – 22nd: RamenCon! South Bend’s annual fan-run anime convention!
- September 21st: Indy Disney Meet! Join a bunch of your fellow Disney fans at this annual meetup at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds in Noblesville!
- September 28th: Star Wars in September! From noon until four at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie, meet a bevy of Star Wars creatives! Do you like those Action Figure Variant covers they have on the comic books? Get one signed by their artist, John Tyler Christopher! Do you like Star Wars Adventures? Head on over to meet Michael Moreci! Do you like Grand Admiral Thrawn? Then meet Timothy Zahn! Plus, Thom Zahler will have a special, exclusive print for the occasion, and he’ll be there signing, as well! That’s a lot of Star Wars!
- September 29th: Fort Wayne Hobby and Collectibles Show! Head up to Fort Wayne if you’re looking for cool collectibles and records! This one day show just might be where you find that elusive gem! You never know!
Looking ahead to October!
- October 1st – 31st: Socktober! Our friends at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie are collecting new pairs of socks for a local shelter! Socks for women, men, and children are needed, and if they’re Geeky, then even better!
- October 5th and 6th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Jousting, music, merchants, and food are the name of the game at the 2019 edition of the Ren Faire!
- October 6th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! Returning to the Monroe Convention Center, this is a great show for those who are into toys and local artists! Affordable admission, food trucks, and a variety of contests will be available for those who attend! Check it out!
- October 12th: Kokomo-Con! Back at the Kokomo Event Center for the 10th year! Vendors, guests, cosplayers, and games! It’s a great one-day show up in the home of Geek Street!
- October 19th and 20th: VoltCon! Celebrating the 35th anniversary of Voltron, this is a locally organized convention covering all incarnations of the series! Held at the Rodeway Inn in Indianapolis, space is limited, so if this looks like your thing, visit the link!
- October 25th – 27th: St. Peter’s Game Night for Extra Life! More info coming soon, but this is a great Extra Life event put on by some friend’s of the blog.
- October 26th: Doctoberfest! Hosted by Who North America in Camby, it’s a Doctor Who-themed fall festival! Check it out!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: Most of the time, when I get a pic of the Geek Pup, she’s snoring with her eyes open. Last night, she was out like a light, and I thought this was adorable.
- Clockwork Creatures: Commissions for Conservation! Friend of the blog Mike Ficarra is currently running an IndieGoGo campaign for his new coffee table book, which contains steampunk-inspired artwork of different animals and creatures. In addition, 10% of the money raised will go to charities like IndyHumane, and a few others! Take a look, and give it your support!
- Extra Life! For many years now, I’ve helped promote friends doing Extra Life, the 24 hours of gaming charity for (usually) Riley Children’s Hospital. This year, since I work with a bunch of gamers, my co-workers and I are doing it ourselves! We’re still planning our games, but I can guarantee we will be streaming. So, if you want to donate, and help kids, follow the link at the beginning of this bullet point to help us out!
- Feed a Blogger! Are you looking to support the blog? Do you want to help with accordion lessons? Here’s how you can!
- Ko-Fi (Immediate) – This enables you to “buy me a Raktajino” and the money immediately goes to PayPal. This will go into the blog’s account, and help me with various expenses.
- Patreon (Long-Term) – This helps long-term, month-to-month. I can not stress this enough, my friends! If people just gave a dollar a month, each, that goes so bloody far for a creator like myself! So please, if you can, throw in here! Bonus: Patrons get extra things, like free swag offers, weekly blog updates, discounts in the Geeking store, and more!
- “Awesome Supporters” Tier – $1 a month – Gets you a shout out on the end of every Indiana Geeking Podcast (provided you’re an active supporter at time of the recording), addition to the Gallery of Gallant Geeking Givers with your name linking to a SFW, non-political URL that you’d like to promote, and a 10% off discount code for the Geeking Shop, as long as I’m still selling merch (not to be confused with the TeePublic shop). It also just lets me know people care about what I’m doing.
- “Polka Party” Tier – $5 a month – This was recently added, to help pay for my accordion lessons! Accordion lessons are $25 a week, up to $100 a month. Supporters at this level will help me pay for this, throwing more of my personal funds towards paying down my medical debt. In return, they get all regular Patreon benefits, plus a special “Polka Power” section on the Gallery of Gallant Geeking Givers. Finally, they also get monthly “update” videos, showing what I’m learning in the lessons I’m receiving at Arthur’s Music Store in Fountain Square.
- “Influencers” Tier – $10 a month – After your first successful month as a Patron (read: you’ve paid for your first month), you will get everything listed on the “Awesome Supporters” tier, and you can also recommend one piece of media, be it a book, a movie, or music, that you’d like me to consume, and then write about on the blog, every month. Certain restrictions apply, please refer to the Patreon page for details.
- Amazon Affiliate (Long Term) – If you’re shopping through Amazon, then please, feel free to use the Affiliate link! The money isn’t immediate, because I have to hit a “cash out” amount, and then it takes a month or two for the money to become available, to make sure they aren’t paying out and then someone returns a high-end item, but it helps boost the bank account!
- Geeking Shop – It turns out that while I’m a decent blogger and podcaster, I’m not great at the merch. I have a lot of stuff laying around the Geek Cave Office, taking up space, and I’m starting to drop prices to get it gone. Take a look! Note: I’m still going to be donating $2 from each Geek Dog and Geek Cat pin to EARPS until they’re gone.
- Geeking Wishlist – This is an Amazon list of tools I could use for blog stuff. Includes podcasting equipment, writing tools, and items for 3D Printing.
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Incorporated. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Incorporated! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!