We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, pictures of the Geek Pets!
October is here, with the pumpkins and the candy and the ninety degree weather! We are hard at work getting Lizz’s Halloween costume together, and I am hard at work trying to get some “Things to Do” posts for a lot of the great events happening this month, along with some clarification on what we’re doing for Extra Life this year. In the meantime, there are some new events added since last week down below, so let’s get on with the countdown!
What’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
October is here!
- October 1st – 31st: Socktober! Our friends at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie are collecting new pairs of socks for a local shelter! Socks for women, men, and children are needed, and if they’re Geeky, then even better!
- October 5th and 6th: Indiana Renaissance Faire! Jousting, music, merchants, and food are the name of the game at the 2019 edition of the Ren Faire!
- October 6th: Indiana Toy & Comic Expo! Returning to the Monroe Convention Center, this is a great show for those who are into toys and local artists! Affordable admission, food trucks, and a variety of contests will be available for those who attend! Check it out!
- October 12th: Kokomo-Con! Back at the Kokomo Event Center for the 10th year! Vendors, guests, cosplayers, and games! It’s a great one-day show up in the home of Geek Street!
- October 13th: Ash Comic Show! The final Ash Show of 2019! I haven’t found an actual event link yet, but I do know it’ll be at the Rodeway Inn in Indianapolis!
- October 16th: Dead Legends #1 Signing at CBU! Comic Book University will be hosting Gavin Smith and James Maddox, the artist and writer of Dead Legends, from 2PM – 7PM!
- October 17th: ABC RPG Meet-Up! The Always Be Creating Role Playing Games meet-up is heading south, to the Books & Brews South Indy location! This is a great networking opportunity for anyone connected to role-playing games, from actual play podcasters, to creators, to artists, to reviewers!
- October 19th and 20th: VoltCon! Celebrating the 35th anniversary of Voltron, this is a locally organized convention covering all incarnations of the series! Held at the Rodeway Inn in Indianapolis, space is limited, so if this looks like your thing, visit the link!
- October 25th – 27th: St. Peter’s Game Night for Extra Life! More info coming soon, but this is a great Extra Life event put on by some friend’s of the blog.
- October 26th: Doctoberfest! Hosted by Who North America in Camby, it’s a Doctor Who-themed fall festival! Check it out!
It’s also time to look to November!
- November 2nd: For The Win: The Hoosier Game Expo! Hosted by the Indiana State Museum, this is an event to showcase Hoosier Game Developers of all types!
- November 3rd: Thanks4Giving! Hosted by Who’s Yer Gamers at the Wyndham West Hotel, this is a day of gaming to raise money and supplies for Gleaners Food Bank! Two boxes of dry cereal, or $10, gets you in to be able to access their huge game library, the silent auction, kid’s activities, and more!
- November 3rd: Yogi’s Toy Show! Held in Noblesville, this is a one day toy and die cast collectibles show!
- November 3rd: Fort Wayne Hobby and Record Show! The one-day show for collectibles, vinyl, and more is returning to Fort Wayne!
- November 9th: JellyBean Jams featuring The Shake Ups! This is an event at the Long Center for the Performing Arts in Lafayette, that’s part of a family music series. The focus is for children ages 1 – 7, and tickets are $10 a child. This is a great opportunity to get your Geeklings out to see this fantastic band!
- November 10th: The Evolution of Sci-Fi Fandom! Hosted by Indiana Youth Group, and held at the Center for Inquiry in Indianapolis, this takes a look at how fandom is becoming more diverse, and how not everyone reacts well to change.
- November 16th: Comic Carnival Zine Jame #4! Hosted by Comic Carnival and Gluestick Indy, this is a group effort in putting together a Zine! This time around, the theme is “Robots and Mechs”, so I’m hoping y’all throw in some Megas XLR!
- November 28th – December 1st: Starbase Indy! Celebrate Thanksgiving Weekend with your Geeky chosen family at this long-running Star Trek/STEM convention at the Wyndham West in Indianapolis!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: One of the neighborhood cats was on the Geek Cave patio, and the Geek Pup was so upset she couldn’t go out and play with (chase) it.
- 2020 Convention & Event Listings. I’m working on updating my spreadsheet, and writing the blog page, for the 2020 conventions. Sure, a lot of the later-in-the-year ones don’t have dates announced yet, but there are a lot already that do, including a couple of new conventions. Please, if you run a show, make sure you have an updated Facebook page, or website, or even reach out to me directly via email, not Facebook Messenger.
- Extra Life! For many years now, I’ve helped promote friends doing Extra Life, the 24 hours of gaming charity for (usually) Riley Children’s Hospital. This year, since I work with a bunch of gamers, my co-workers and I are doing it ourselves! We’re still planning our games, but I can guarantee we will be streaming. So, if you want to donate, and help kids, follow the link at the beginning of this bullet point to help us out!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Incorporated. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Incorporated! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!