We are back with another installment of Tuesday Tidbits, where I try to track down events that I think would be of interest to you, my fellow Geeks here in Indiana! Plus, pictures of the Geek Pets!
The first weekend of October is down, with visits to Indy Pagan Pride and the Indiana Toy & Comic Expo under my belt! This coming weekend is even more fun, with Kokomo-Con on Saturday, and the Ash Comic Show on Sunday! Will I have the energy to hit it all, on top of a meeting for Circle of Janus/InConJunction on Saturday night? We shall see. Now, will YOU have the energy? I hope so!
Now, on with the countdown!
What’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
October is here!
- October 1st – 31st: Socktober! Our friends at Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie are collecting new pairs of socks for a local shelter! Socks for women, men, and children are needed, and if they’re Geeky, then even better!
- October 12th: Kokomo-Con! Back at the Kokomo Event Center for the 10th year! Vendors, guests, cosplayers, and games! It’s a great one-day show up in the home of Geek Street!
- October 13th: Ash Comic Show! The final Ash Show of 2019! I haven’t found an actual event link yet, but I do know it’ll be at the Rodeway Inn in Indianapolis!
- October 16th: Dead Legends #1 Signing at CBU! Comic Book University will be hosting Gavin Smith and James Maddox, the artist and writer of Dead Legends, from 2PM – 7PM!
- October 17th: ABC RPG Meet-Up! The Always Be Creating Role Playing Games meet-up is heading south, to the Books & Brews South Indy location! This is a great networking opportunity for anyone connected to role-playing games, from actual play podcasters, to creators, to artists, to reviewers!
- October 19th and 20th: VoltCon! Celebrating the 35th anniversary of Voltron, this is a locally organized convention covering all incarnations of the series! Held at the Rodeway Inn in Indianapolis, space is limited, so if this looks like your thing, visit the link!
- October 25th – 27th: St. Peter’s Game Night for Extra Life! More info coming soon, but this is a great Extra Life event put on by some friend’s of the blog.
- October 26th: Doctoberfest! Hosted by Who North America in Camby, it’s a Doctor Who-themed fall festival! Check it out!
It’s also time to look to November!
- November 2nd: For The Win: The Hoosier Game Expo! Hosted by the Indiana State Museum, this is an event to showcase Hoosier Game Developers of all types!
- November 3rd: Thanks4Giving! Hosted by Who’s Yer Gamers at the Wyndham West Hotel, this is a day of gaming to raise money and supplies for Gleaners Food Bank! Two boxes of dry cereal, or $10, gets you in to be able to access their huge game library, the silent auction, kid’s activities, and more!
- November 3rd: Yogi’s Toy Show! Held in Noblesville, this is a one day toy and die cast collectibles show!
- November 3rd: Fort Wayne Hobby and Record Show! The one-day show for collectibles, vinyl, and more is returning to Fort Wayne!
- November 9th: JellyBean Jams featuring The Shake Ups! This is an event at the Long Center for the Performing Arts in Lafayette, that’s part of a family music series. The focus is for children ages 1 – 7, and tickets are $10 a child. This is a great opportunity to get your Geeklings out to see this fantastic band!
- November 10th: The Evolution of Sci-Fi Fandom! Hosted by Indiana Youth Group, and held at the Center for Inquiry in Indianapolis, this takes a look at how fandom is becoming more diverse, and how not everyone reacts well to change.
- November 16th: Comic Carnival Zine Jame #4! Hosted by Comic Carnival and Gluestick Indy, this is a group effort in putting together a Zine! This time around, the theme is “Robots and Mechs”, so I’m hoping y’all throw in some Megas XLR!
- November 16th: INChaserCon 2019! Storm Chasing is not a form of Geekery I normally throw out there, but who knows? If I can tell one person about something cool they weren’t aware of, it’s worth it! Held at the Hendricks County Convention Center in Danville! h/t to Greg Chaney for the heads up!
- November 28th – December 1st: Starbase Indy! Celebrate Thanksgiving Weekend with your Geeky chosen family at this long-running Star Trek/STEM convention at the Wyndham West in Indianapolis!
Now, what’s happening with the blog, the blogger, and friends of the blog?
- Today’s Picture: You may not always see her, but the Elusive Cat is always there, always watching.
- 2020 Convention & Event Listings. I’m working on updating my spreadsheet, and writing the blog page, for the 2020 conventions. Sure, a lot of the later-in-the-year ones don’t have dates announced yet, but there are a lot already that do, including a couple of new conventions. Please, if you run a show, make sure you have an updated Facebook page, or website, or even reach out to me directly via email, not Facebook Messenger.
- Extra Life! For many years now, I’ve helped promote friends doing Extra Life, the 24 hours of gaming charity for (usually) Riley Children’s Hospital. This year, since I work with a bunch of gamers, my co-workers and I are doing it ourselves! We’re still planning our games, but I can guarantee we will be streaming. So, if you want to donate, and help kids, follow the link at the beginning of this bullet point to help us out!
- Do you like how the blog looks? Then check out Studio 27 Indy and TikiKitchen Incorporated. I just write this stuff. They’re the ones that make me look good. Also, check out the art page on TikiKitchen Incorporated! There’s some great stuff on there! It’s TikiBitchin!
Am I missing anything? Use one of those contact links to give me a shout! Have a great week, and I’ll see you later!