It’s time for another edition of Tuesday Tidbits! This long-running staple of Geeking in Indiana takes a look at events happening in the state of Indiana that I think would be of interest to Geeks from, or visiting, this state! I take a look at the current month, and the next month, and try to find book signings, conventions, shows, meet-ups, and whatever else I think would be of interest! In addition, I have information on what’s happening with the blog, information about how you can support local creators, and of course, Geek Pet pictures!
I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! Ours was spent recording some podcasts, celebrating a couple of friend’s birthdays, and doing a ten hour marathon of “Crisis on Infinite Earths” and Batwoman, because we had absolutely NOTHING to do on Saturday, and were so very tired. It’s now Monday, and thanks to the aforementioned birthday celebrations, I’m back to “so very tired,” but I’m here to give you the lowdown on what’s going on in the state of Indiana!
One thing I do want to bring up, though, is the costs of Geeking. I just had to transfer a goodly chunk of money from my bank account to the blog’s bank account, to cover some of the early year costs for the blog (Podcast hosting fees, domain name fees, etc…), and that really stings. I enjoy doing all of this, but I can’t afford to keep dropping money into it. So, if you could help (trust me, I am not profiting off of this), feel free to visit the Support Page and donate, or buy, or shop through Amazon, or do whatever! It all helps!
What’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
- January 22nd: Dice and Meeples Open Play Board Games! Hosted by the Avon-Washington Township Public Library, it’s an evening of pizza and games! Visit the link for more info, and remember that registration is required!
- January 23rd: Earl Grey Tea Sipping Society! Hosted by Comic Carnival, here is your opportunity to watch Star Trek Picard with a group of your fellow Star Trek fans! Check out the event page for more info, and if you’re interested, let them know you’re coming!
- January 25th: Joshua Bullock Signing! Presented by Gluestick and Comic Carnival, Joshua Bullock is a freelance animator, character concept artist, and comic book illustrator. Some of his projects include the comic Monarchs, and Black History Beats on PBS. Check out the link for more information!
- January 25th: Foamsmithing Workshop! Hosted by The Build Guild in Fort Wayne, the goal is to teach the basics of building armor and costume pieces out of EVA foam. They also have other listed events of interest to costume and prop builders, so visit their Events page for more information (link)!
- January 27th: Alien at The Vogue! Head over to The Vogue in Broad Ripple to see this sci-fi classic! Tickets are only $5!
- January 31st – February 2nd: IndyStorm Gaming Con! It’s a new gaming convention, at the Wyndham West. Check out their site for more information.
February is coming up fast!
- February 5th – 9th: Winter Fantasy 2020! This role-playing game convention returns to Fort Wayne! Check out their website!
- February 12th: Paul Allor Book Signing! Local comic book writer Paul Allor (GI Joe, Clue, TET, Monstro Mechanica) will be at Downtown Comics to sign his new book, issue five of GI Joe! He’ll be at the downtown location from 10:30 AM to 1 PM, then at the north side location from 4:30 PM to 7 PM!
- February 15th: NWI Comic-Con! Returning to the Halls of St. George in Schererville, I’ve heard good things about this one-day show, but fate has always kept me away from it. Maybe this will be the year I can head up to the Region to check it out?
- February 21st: Anime Crossroads 2020! Moving over to the Marriott East in Indianapolis, this is a locally-ran anime convention!
- February 22nd: A.T. Con! This is a new show put on by a couple Geeky shops up in Fort Wayne! It’s All Things Con, and check out their Facebook page for more information!
- February 28th: Pinball FUNdraiser! Hosted by Books & Brews – South Indy, this is a fundraiser for CICOA! Visit the page for more info!
There are many awesome folx in the Hoosier state creating great things. Comics, blogs, podcasts, artwork of every imaginable type, we have it all. This year, I want to start putting a spotlight on many of these. I’ve pinned a tweet to my profile on Twitter, where I’m asking local folx to add their information. You can find that link here (link). Every other week, I’ll put a new creator up here for you to check out, and hopefully support!
- This week’s creator is Twitter User @OrangeLikeJazz! In her own words, “I’m Orange Like Jazz, actual-play podcaster, DMsGuild author, itch.io game designer, and #ABCRPG Indiana meetup organizer for TTRPG creators & podcasters. I’m a demisexual cis woman living with GAD and major depression, & PTSD survivor.” I strongly recommend giving her a follow on Twitter, and you can support her at the following links!
What’s happening at the Geek Cave?
- Today’s Picture: The Geek Pup. Yes, there are other pets in the Geek Cave, and I was going to show one of them today, but I looked over last week, and this is how this ridiculous creature was laying in her chair, and I just need to show it to everyone.
- Team Geeking Family of Podcasts: While the Indiana Geeking Podcast has been shuttered, we’re moving full steam ahead on both Social Sci-Fi and You’re Gonna Love This… or Not…! Currently, they will be keeping their current spots on the second and third Fridays of the month, respectively, and their pages have been updated with their 2020 schedules!
- Geek Building: I’m full steam ahead on my next costume, and the 3D Printer
has been leveledis back to being a PITA when it comes to leveling. Someday I’ll get to work on my next projects.
- Support Team Geeking: Do you want to know how you can support the folx who bring you the blog, podcasts, and everything else we do?
- TikiKitchen Inc.! All of the branding images you see on the blog are thanks to the fine folx at TikiKitchen! They have been indispensable to the blog ever since I started getting serious with it a few years ago. Take a look, and see if they can help you with your branding, website design, and more!
- Geeking in Indiana! That’s us! Here’s a blog post that tells you how you can help the blog with recurring bills, and new equipment costs.
As always, we hope you have a great week! Remember, if you have an event coming up, either leave the info in the comments below, or drop it to me using any of the contact methods listed on the sidebar!