It’s time for another edition of Tuesday Tidbits! This long-running staple of Geeking in Indiana takes a look at events happening in the state of Indiana that I think would be of interest to Geeks from, or visiting, this state! I take a look at the current month, and the next month, and try to find book signings, conventions, shows, meet-ups, and whatever else I think would be of interest! In addition, I have information on what’s happening with the blog, information about how you can support local creators, and of course, Geek Pet pictures!
I hope everybody has had a great week since we all last got together! I had a full weekend, spending Saturday morning with members of Star Wars Indiana at a youth robotics tournament, and for the first time in a few events, I wasn’t the only pilot! After the event, I rushed home, since we were hosting our D&D group, and had a fantastic night with friends. In fact, I was finally able to stretch my role-playing chops a bit, and use some of my bard skills to scam the group out of two fairly harsh combat events, and then remind the group we had a teleport available to get us out of the third. This still has me very happy, because for the last dozen or so sessions, I’ve essentially been the one to try to boost stats through Bardic Inspiration, fail miserably in combat, and almost die, so to be able to mark off these wins has me on cloud nine.
Anyway, this week we’re wrapping up January with IndyStorm, the new gaming convention over at the Wyndham Wet in Indianapolis, adding a few events to February, and looking ahead to March!
What’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
- January 31st – February 2nd: IndyStorm Gaming Con! It’s a new gaming convention, at the Wyndham West. Check out their site for more information.
February is next week!
- February 5th – 9th: Winter Fantasy 2020! This role-playing game convention returns to Fort Wayne! Check out their website!
- February 12th: Paul Allor Book Signing! Local comic book writer Paul Allor (GI Joe, Clue, TET, Monstro Mechanica) will be at Downtown Comics to sign his new book, issue five of GI Joe! He’ll be at the downtown location from 10:30 AM to 1 PM, then at the north side location from 4:30 PM to 7 PM!
- February 15th: NWI Comic-Con! Returning to the Halls of St. George in Schererville, I’ve heard good things about this one-day show, but fate has always kept me away from it. Maybe this will be the year I can head up to the Region to check it out?
- February 20th: ABC RPG Meetup! The next networking event for local game creators, live-play podcasters, and aficionados will be held at the Books & Brews on Mass Ave from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM! RSVP at the provided link, and make sure to buy food and drink to support the local business that provides the space!
- February 21st: Anime Crossroads 2020! Moving over to the Marriott East in Indianapolis, this is a locally-ran anime convention!
- February 22nd: Matthew Barron Signing! Comic Carnival and Gluestick are bringing local author Matthew Barron in for a signing! He’ll have his books available, and will be in store from Noon to Five.
- February 22nd: A.T. Con! This is a new show put on by a couple Geeky shops up in Fort Wayne! It’s All Things Con, and check out their Facebook page for more information!
- February 26th: Alessandra DC Signing! Local artist Alessandra DC will be at Comic Carnival, courtesy of Gluestick, signing her work from Noon to Five! Come out, and support your local creators!
- February 28th: Pinball FUNdraiser! Hosted by Books & Brews – South Indy, this is a fundraiser for CICOA! Visit the page for more info!
March will be here sooner than you think!
- March 7th: Hitchhiker’s 42nd Anniversary! It’s the 42nd anniversary of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy radio play, and Who North America has plans! Keep an eye on the Facebook event for more info!
- March 20th – 22nd: EvilleCon! This is a fan-run anime convention down in Evansville, at the Old National Events Plaza!
- March 21st – 22nd: Brickworld Indianapolis! Lego! Lots and lots of Lego! What else do you need to know?
- March 29th: Fort Wayne Hobby and Collectibles Show! This is a regular collectibles show up in Fort Wayne. Great place to look for action figures and the like!
There are many awesome folx in the Hoosier state creating great things. Comics, blogs, podcasts, artwork of every imaginable type, we have it all. This year, I want to start putting a spotlight on many of these. I’ve pinned a tweet to my profile on Twitter, where I’m asking local folx to add their information. You can find that link here (link). Every month, I’ll put a new creator up here for you to check out, and hopefully support!
- This week’s creator is Twitter User @OrangeLikeJazz! In her own words, “I’m Orange Like Jazz, actual-play podcaster, DMsGuild author, itch.io game designer, and #ABCRPG Indiana meetup organizer for TTRPG creators & podcasters. I’m a demisexual cis woman living with GAD and major depression, & PTSD survivor.” I strongly recommend giving her a follow on Twitter, and you can support her at the following links!
What’s happening at the Geek Cave?
- Today’s Picture: The Geek Cat returns, and you can tell how thrilled he is to have a camera phone shoved back into his face!
- Team Geeking Family of Podcasts: While the Indiana Geeking Podcast has been shuttered, we’re moving full steam ahead on both Social Sci-Fi and You’re Gonna Love This… or Not…! Currently, they will be keeping their current spots on the second and third Fridays of the month, respectively, and their pages have been updated with their 2020 schedules!
- Geek Building: I’m full steam ahead on my next costume, and the 3D Printer has been running pretty solid ever since last Wednesday! Taking care of some “commissioned” work for my step daughter, then I’m going to start a project that I’ve wanted to do for a long time, that might end up being a Patreon exclusive for updates, due to the size, time, and cost. We’ll see.
- Support Team Geeking: Do you want to know how you can support the folx who bring you the blog, podcasts, and everything else we do?
- TikiKitchen Inc.! All of the branding images you see on the blog are thanks to the fine folx at TikiKitchen! They have been indispensable to the blog ever since I started getting serious with it a few years ago. Take a look, and see if they can help you with your branding, website design, and more!
- Geeking in Indiana! That’s us! Here’s a blog post that tells you how you can help the blog with recurring bills, and new equipment costs.
As always, we hope you have a great week! Remember, if you have an event coming up, either leave the info in the comments below, or drop it to me using any of the contact methods listed on the sidebar!