UPDATE: With COVID-19 concerns, and the state governor stating, rightly, that all gatherings of over 250 people must be cancelled/postponed, a lot of events are being cancelled. I’m going to try to keep this updated, but double check their social media feeds and website before you go. I’ll put a strike-through on each cancelled event, and label it as cancelled, though some of these events might try to reschedule at a later date.
It’s time for another edition of Tuesday Tidbits! This long-running staple of Geeking in Indiana takes a look at events happening in the state of Indiana that I think would be of interest to Geeks from, or visiting, this state! I take a look at the current month, and the next month, and try to find book signings, conventions, shows, meet-ups, and whatever else I think would be of interest! In addition, I have information on what’s happening with the blog, information about how you can support local creators, and of course, Geek Pet pictures!
I hope everybody has been doing okay since we last got together. Is everyone still healthy? I really hope my readers are in the “What do you mean, you haven’t been washing your hands?!?!” group, as opposed to being in the “Fine, I’ll activate the sensor on the faucet before I leave the bathroom, if I must!” camp. If you ARE in that second group? Wash your damn hands. Anyway.
So far, every event I have up is still going on, in the midst of cancellations and other preventative measures which I’m 100% behind. As always, double check the links to make sure the event is still happening, before hauling yourself to it.
What’s happening for Hoosier Geeks?
in like a lamb Oof. March is.
- March 15th: Knight’s Hall Comic and Toy Show! This is a new show in Indianapolis, the first of three that will happen in 2020. Visit their site for information leading up to the event!
March 18th: Erik Lundorf In Store Signing! Comic Carnival and Gluestick are continuing their spotlight on local artists and creators by bringing in local artist Erik Lundorf!
March 20th – 22nd: EvilleCon! This is a fan-run anime convention down in Evansville, at the Old National Events Plaza!
March 21st – 22nd: Brickworld Indianapolis! Lego! Lots and lots of Lego! What else do you need to know?
March 25th: Ethan Sacks Book Signing! Aw Yeah! Comics in Muncie is bringing in author Ethan Sacks to celebrate the release of Star Wars Bounty Hunters! Visit the event page for more information!
March 28th: Nate Vaught In-Store Signing! Gluestick and Comic Carnival are hosting local artist Nate Vaught! Check out the event page, and his work!
March 29th: Fort Wayne Hobby and Collectibles Show! This is a regular collectibles show up in Fort Wayne. Great place to look for action figures and the like!
April arrives on Tuesday Tidbits!
April 3rd – 5th: Midwest RepRap Festival! Do you like 3D Printing? Believe it or not, one of the biggest gatherings of 3D Printing enthusiasts is located in Goshen! Keep your eyes open for Lizz and I, because we really enjoyed this event last year, and are looking forward to heading back this year with a bit of knowledge, so we know what questions to ask, and what tips we can use!
April 4th & 5th: Minefaire! This is an official Minecraft community event, held at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis. Get more information on the link!
- April 4th: Hotspot Collectibles and Toys Grand Opening! You’ve seen them around all the local toy shows, and now they’re opening their own storefront in Brownsburg! Visit the link for the hours, and to see what all is going on!
April 4th: Greater Lafayette Mini Maker Faire! Held at the Lafayette Sunnyside Intermediate School, this is a collection of local makers! Visit the Event Page for more information! Cancelled! April 4th: Jellybean Jams, featuring The Shake Ups! Local band and Team Geeking friends The Shake Ups will be playing at the Long Center for the Performing Arts in Lafayette, featuring their Beatles show! This is an all-ages event, so visit the link and check it out!
April 10th – 12th: Who’s Yer Con! This locally-ran gaming convention is back for another year! While a paid admission will get you some cool stuff and is greatly appreciated, you can choose to attend for free! Visit their site for more information!
April10th – 12th: Indiana Comic Convention
April11th: The Oddities and Curiosities Expo! This is “for lovers of the strange & unusual” which I know some of my readers are! This is held at the Indiana State Fairground in Indianapolis, and visit the link for more information.
April 24th – 27th: RollPlus Con! This is a small gathering of gamers held in De Motte. It’s pretty much a weekend of gaming. A bed, breakfast, and dinner are provided, and from what I heard about last year’s, it’s a really fun event! Check out the info on their website! Cancelled! April 25th: The Art and History of Comic Books! Billy Cooper, founder of the Indiana Toy and Comic Expo, will be giving this presentation at the Monrovia Library! He will be joined by Matthew Skillern of Skillern Studios.
There are many awesome folx in the Hoosier state creating great things. Comics, blogs, podcasts, artwork of every imaginable type, we have it all. This year, I want to start putting a spotlight on many of these. I’ve pinned a tweet to my profile on Twitter, where I’m asking local folx to add their information. You can find that link here (link). Every month, I’ll put a new creator up here for you to check out, and hopefully support!
- This month’s creator is Twitter user TangArts, out of Fort Wayne! They are an artist who works with fantasy creatures, “…blurring of the line between human and animal, between real and imaginary.” They post a lot on Twitter, and they take commissions! Here are the links so you can help them out!
What’s happening at the Geek Cave?
- Today’s Picture: The Geek Pup, staring at me between my laptop monitor and my secondary monitor, wondering why it isn’t dinner time yet. Note: It’s still two hours before dinner time.
- Geek Building: After a rough couple of months, I’m being more deliberate in making time to build, even if it’s only one night a week. I’ve started working on the pieces of the Rebel Fleet Trooper costume from Star Wars: A New Hope that I already have, like cleaning up my old Studio Creations helmet, and starting to sand off all of the logos from the Nerf Rebel Fleet Trooper Blaster. In addition, I’ve been printing some large, multi-day pieces for the teen’s Ashe cosplay from Overwatch, which she’s working on with her father. I’ve been “commissioned” to print out pieces for them. Once that is done, then I’ll be going back to printing what I want to print, and starting to figure out what I want to do for VoltCon 2020.
- Support Team Geeking: Do you want to know how you can support the folx who bring you the blog, podcasts, and everything else we do?
- TikiKitchen Inc.! All of the branding images you see on the blog are thanks to the fine folx at TikiKitchen! They have been indispensable to the blog ever since I started getting serious with it a few years ago. Take a look, and see if they can help you with your branding, website design, and more!
- Geeking in Indiana! That’s us! Here’s a blog post that tells you how you can help the blog with recurring bills, and new equipment costs.
As always, we hope you have a great week! Remember, if you have an event coming up, either leave the info in the comments below, or drop it to me using any of the contact methods listed on the sidebar!