Good day, my friends! I trust you all had a great weekend? I know I did, what with my nephew’s birthday party at eBash in Castleton on Saturday morning, then heading over to Hero’s Emporium Saturday afternoon for TableTop Day, and then hanging with my buddies T.J. and Mike on Saturday evening, talking about an exciting new project. Sunday was more meetings with offline friends, and then an evening watching Daredevil. Now, though, it’s time to look at next week! This weekend is my other nephew’s birthday, and then Who’sYerCon on Saturday, and then supporting my friends at the INDYpendent Show on Sunday. However, while these are mighty events, they are not all that is happening in the state of Indiana. Let let us move forward, and see what this state has to offer us, besides clueless politicians.
We are halfway done with April:
- April 15: Nutmeg Release at Comic Book University! Nutmeg, with art by local artist Jackie Crofts, will be released at your Friendly Local Comic Shop on Wednesday. Down at Comic Book University in Greenwood, Jackie will actually be appearing, and signing copies, from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM! Pick up the book, meet Jackie, and you can thank me later!
- April 17 – 18: Pop! Con Evansville! In no way affiliated with Indy Pop Con, this is still a fun show happening in Evansville! It’s always good to remember that not every convention and event happens in Indianapolis! Click the link for more information!
- April 17 – 19: Who’s Yer Con! This free gaming convention is held at the Wyndham West Hotel in Indianapolis, and is a great way to get your game on! I’m finally able to attend this year, and I’m greatly looking forward to it!
- April 18: Jackie Crofts Signing at Aw Yeah Comics Muncie! Jackie Crofts is the artist for the comic book, Nutmeg. Come meet her, check out the book, get it signed, and bask in the awesomeness from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM!
- April 18: PRN Presents the Debut of The Yavin 4! The Melody Inn in Indianapolis will be hosting Punk Rock Night with musical guests Five Year Mission, Golden Torso, Nice Hooves, and the debut of The Yavin 4! Doors open at 9:00 PM, music starts at 10:00 PM, and it’s a dollar off cover if you show up in costume!
- April 19: The INDYpendent Self-Publisher Show! Joining forces with Who’s Yer Con, the INDYpendent Show will be free for attendees this year! This is a great event for anyone interested in creating your own book or comic, and a great way to interact with local creators, including the blog’s very own Bri!
- April 25: WhoNA Open House! Doctor Who collectibles. Whovians. Good people. 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Need I say more?
May has more than racing:
- May 2: Free Comic Book Day! It’s so close, you guys! Look for blog posts the week before, talking about what shops will be doing what for this event, as well as going into some of the books!
- May 3: Ash Comic Show! An Indianapolis tradition! They have moved from the East Side of town to the Caribbean Cove Hotel off 465 and Michigan on the Northwest Side of town!
- May 16-17: Appleseed Comic Con! This is a great, locally-ran Comic Book convention in Fort Wayne. No big-name media guests, just creators, comics, and a good time.
- May 23: My birthday! Do I honestly expect anything to be purchased off of this list? Aw, heck no! However, if something ends up at my place, I would be a very happy old Geek, indeed!
Now, for events that are longer than a weekend, let’s take a look at what’s going on in Hoosier Museums:
- Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
- Inside Hollywood Film & TV: You’re on the Set!
- When is it? Now through July 26th!
- What is it? This exhibit give your family the opportunity to see how movies and television shows happen! With sets, green screen, costumes, props, and even animation stations, you can act out different scripts! Plus, there are props and costumes on display from properties like Men in Black, Ghostbusters, Spider Man, Hook, and more! Check out my thoughts on the exhibit here!
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- When is it? Now through July 26th!
- What is it? Celebrating the franchise’s 30th anniversary, this exhibit takes a look at the history of the toys and entertainment, how the toys are designed and made, and looks at upcoming media featuring the property! Check out my thoughts on the exhibit here!
- Hot Wheels: Race to Win
- When is it? Opens on May 9th, and runs through August 16th!
- What is it? Using Hot Wheels, your family can learn how to create fast, and safe, racing machines! Learn the science behind racing, and check out memorabilia and race gear! Very appropriate for the month of May in Indianapolis!
- Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secrets of the Sewer!
- When is it? Opens on September 26, and runs through April 10th, 2016!
- What is it? This is the first museum exhibit featuring everybody’s favorite Turtles! Explore the Turtle’s lair, and use problem solving and team work to solve puzzles, mazes, and obstacles!
- Inside Hollywood Film & TV: You’re on the Set!
- Little Guardians Patreon! They have hit their first level! Thanks to Patreon supporters, Little Guardians is in the process of bringing on a colorist to get all of their work into the Wonderful World of Color! Next goal: Bringing on an artist for a side story!
- Title Unrelated Patreon! My friend G Pike also had a Patreon for Title Unrelated! G is another local artist, and member of the Indy Webcomics Group, and is just an outstanding artist! Check it out!
- Kyle Latino Patreon! Kyle’s no longer in Indiana, but he’s a good chap, so I’m making sure to throw him on here! Kyle does cool stuff like Prime 8’s and Welcome to Slinktown, Jerks, and he gives some good peeks and exclusives to contributors!
- Troy Brownfield Patreon! Troy Brownfield, along with Enkaru and Ben Olsen, work on Sparkshooter and Solo Acoustic. This will help them focus more on this work!
- RSquared Studios Patreon! These fine folks, all experienced in comics, are looking to be able to focus on their own IP, Yva Starling: Troubleshooter. This Patreon will help them focus on that.
- Just Plain Something Patreon! Katie and her boyfriend, Mike, have a podcast where they talk about movies on the drive home from them. Katie also records podcasts under the Just Plain Something banner. They are also looking to do YouTube videos! Take a look at their Patreon, and give them a hand with their dream!
- Kathryn Silver/Paper Triangle Patreon! Kathryn Silver is a digital artist and creator, who is looking to work on her graphic novel, Paper Triangle.
Next, I’m going to go back to keeping other crowdfunding, like Kickstarter, Indie Go Go, and GoFundMe accounts, separate.
- Universal Storytelling System, Revised! This is a new campaign on Indie Go Go, for a home brew role playing system from one of the hosts of the local gaming podcasts, The ESTABLiSHED FACTS. Give it a look, and throw them some money before the campaign is up on April 30th!
- Help Expand Who North America! Who North America’s lease is almost up, and they’re looking to expand! As many of you know, WhoNA is an online retailer that’s also a hub of Whovian fandom here in Indianapolis. They’re looking to get more space, especially for their Doctor Who museum, but they need help raising the funds. Take a look at their Go Fund Me page, and see if you’d like to help!
- Help Android’s Dungeon Move! Android’s Dungeon in Avon is a great little shop, with a really lousy location, and sadly, not the best property management group. Help them raise enough money to find a better location, and really expand to help serve Hendricks County!
Finally, what’s going on with the blog:
- Free Comic Book Day is just a few weeks away! Does your local shop do anything special for it? Do you have any creators signing? Drop me an email at IndianaGeeking@gmail.com and let me know for inclusion in my blog post!
- Have you been listening to the Indiana Geeking podcast? Did you know you could find it on the Stitcher podcast app, or subscribe on iTunes? If you like what I’m doing, please feel free to rate and comment accordingly!
- If you’ve noticed some of the graphics I use around the blog, you might notice a slowly growing theme in the imagery. The gentleman who has been creating these graphics for me, Aric “Tikikitchen” Harris, has an Etsy shop full of his other artwork, from science fiction to tiki-inspired. His Etsy store is here! Show enough love, and we might see more of him at Indy Pop Con!
- Do you have a tip, or a request? Please drop me a line at IndianaGeeking@gmail.com and I’ll be more than happy to give you a shout out, or answer any questions you might have!
- As always, please remember to #FeedABlogger by using the banners on my site if you’re looking to shop through Amazon, or Think Geek. I strive to provide all of this for free, but I’m starting to get a bit of overhead that my job just will not cover, plus I would like to be able to throw a bit of compensation at my staff from time to time, either in the form of money (cash only, coins hurt) or tasty alcoholic beverages.