Updated October 16th, 2020
For the first years of the blog, costuming was kind of a side item. It was a bit of filler as I wrote about conventions, shops, creators, media, and everything else happening around Indiana. In 2020, I’m starting to put more focus on replenishing my costume closet, among other things. I also am taking a look at unfinished projects, as well as taking a look at projects once thought completed, but it turns out they need some more work. I admit, as I’ve been doing this for a while, some of these posts are out of date, and talk about products that are no longer available. For example, both the “Double Tank Top Replica by Anovos” and “Vault 101 Jumpsuit, Bethesda Store” posts talk about items that have not been available for a number of years, but I just can’t bring myself to remove them from the blog. To help you know how “relevant” the post is before you click on it, I’ve gone ahead and added the posting date to each entry.
So, in a nutshell, here is where you can find all of the posts about my costume work. Some of these posts might double up over on the Geek Building page, as well, since many items cross over from one to the other. Either way, enjoy!
- A-Wing Pilot (3/13/2015) – My first foray back into Star Wars costuming after approximately ten years. Not long after completion, new information came out about the costume, which means it’s on deck to get reworked. Once the rework starts, I’ll drop this down into the same format as the other costumes I’m working on.
- Fallout 3 (In Progress, low priority)
- Vault 101 Jumpsuit, Bethesda Store (5/7/2014) – My thoughts on the mass-produced Vault 101 Jumpsuit, offered by the Bethesda Online Store. Note: This item is no longer available through the store.
- Halloween 2014: Vault Dweller (11/6/2014) – Turning the Jumpsuit into a Halloween Costume, complete with a hastily-made PIP Boy
- Revisiting the Vault 101 Costume (9/28/2016) – For Halloween 2016, I’m working on making some accurate parts for the aforementioned Vault 101 Jumpsuit from the Bethesda store (shoulder piece, and belt) as well as trying my hand with building one of the 3D Printed Pip Boys. All for as cheaply as possible.
- 25 Days ’til Halloween: The Fallout Project (10/6/2016) – A week ago, I talked about tweaking my Vault 101 Costume for Halloween. What I have I done?
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (In Progress)
- Rebel Fleet Trooper Costume – An Introduction (10/9/2020) – As we roll into Autumn of the 2020 Pandemic, I start reworking my RFT from Star Wars A New Hope. The introduction is my history with the costume, what I’ve done so far, and giving information on where I’m getting everything else.
- Resistance Pilot (In Progress)
- Resistance Pilot Costume – An Introduction (2/2/2018) – The first project of 2018! This is an introduction to what I’m doing, and pics of the helmet I’ve started to modify.
- Resistance Pilot Costume – March Update (3/16/2018) – Progress has been made on my Resistance Pilot costume from Star Wars. Here’s what’s happened since the initial post!
- Resistance Pilot Costume – November Update (11/30/2018) – It’s been almost eight months since the last update, but it’s been a long eight months. I’m about 75% done with the costume. Here’s where I’m sitting, and here’s a lot of progress pictures!
- Resistance Pilot Costume – Final Update (11/21/2019) – There’s still some small things to do, but it’s wearable, and approved by The Rebel Legion, so I guess it’s time to wrap these posts up!
- X-Wing Pilot (In Progress)
- X-Wing Pilot Costume – An Introduction (10/16/2020) – Back in 2001, the first Star Wars costume I made for myself was the X-Wing Pilot from A New Hope. Due to many unfortunate circumstances, that costume is no longer with us, so I’m going to piece it back together.
- Costume Initiative 2016? (1/29/2016) – A post, talking about what I’m looking at working on in 2016. Spoilers: I need to practice.
- Costuming Bucket List (7/9/2015) – Bucket list of costumes I need to have in my closet before I die.
- Costuming on a Thrift Store Budget (1/29/2015) – My post, based on a seminar put on by Circle City Aerodrome, our local steampunk costuming group.
- Foam Firearm Fabrication Basics (12/15/2014) – A Media Monday review, about an eBook that covers prop making out of EVA and Craft Foam.
- Foam Armor, Fast (12/8/2014) – A Media Monday review, about an eBook that talks about quick and dirty fabrication of foam armor.
- The Foamsmith Trilogy, Vol. 1 & 2 (9/22/2014) – A Media Monday review, about the first 2/3 of the Foamsmith Trilogy. This eBook series gives tips and tricks on how to make foam armor that can look like anything from hammered metal, to futuristic polycarbonate.
- Double Tank Top Replica by Anovos (5/1/2014) – My thoughts on the Double Tank Top put out by Anovos. Currently out of production.
- Costuming vs. Cosplay (9/4/2013) – My thoughts on the terms that essentially mean “Playing dress up”.
- Costume Initiative 2014 Update (7/31/2013) – Updates on the plans made for the 2014 convention season, plus the ill-fated “Tony’s Metal Bikini” updates.
- Costume Initiative 2014 (7/8/2013) – My first attempt to get back into writing about costumes on the blog, hoping to get items ready for the 2014 convention season.